1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Highly exploded parts view

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by uzimac, Jun 15, 2012.

1. uzimac

uzimac New Member

Is there anyplace I can find and download a very detailed exploded parts view for a CV carb? I just rebuilt mine but I'm not sure about the order of the mixture screw and associated little parts. I have the H-D service manual which has a pretty good exploded view of the carb, but it doesn't show every little screw and o-ring placement. Every place I've found on the web is just a copy of the page out of the service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The parts book had a better brake down of the parts inside & better pics got those of us who can't read
  3. ctim62

ctim62 New Member

make bike louder

:confused: hi i am thinking a bout drilling holes in the out side of the muflers to make it louder will that hert the motor?
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you have the EZ-Just or Tuners Kit from CV Performance (this forum category) then those include a picture of the order in which those pieces get installed. However the aftermarket mixture screw knockoff (Yost, V-Twin Mfg, etc) do not provide a diagram. The exception would be the rebuild kit sold by Cyclepro, James, and Drag Specialties which requires the book, but none of those rebuild kits include replacement parts for the mixture screw.

Below is an image of the mixture screw along with the spring, washer, and o-ring. Make sure the washer goes between the spring and o-ring or you will tear the o-ring on the rough edge of the spring.

Also, DO NOT try using any of the o-rings found in the rebuild kits for the mixture packing, they are not the same. While those kits may contain o-rings similar in size, they are not correct for that application and will fail. The mixture screw was never intended by the factory to be removed so the o-ring contained above that screw is not included in any rebuild kit sold. The ONLY o-ring that should be used with the mixture screw is the one included in our Mixture Packing Kit, or if your dealer still has old stock from the 70's p/n 27899-78 is the same size though it may be a softer rubber not compatible with modern fuel additives.

Attached Files:

5. kenfuzed

Re: make bike louder

If you do this you are almost guaranteed to be buying replacement mufflers soon after. Not only will it sound raspy like an old lawnmower but you will lose all of your bottom end torque. If you have mufflers that have replaceable baffles then look for replacements from Python or similar, otherwise save up some money and invest in aftermarket mufflers.
  6. ctim62

ctim62 New Member

Re: make bike louder

ok thank you that helped i am going to leve it the way it is .
  7. 96roadking

96roadking Member

A 'thread from the dead', I know, but it would like to second that it would be very useful to have a more detailed and complex parts views of the carbs available. I say carbs because they're are a few options/alternative.

A photo record of a complete strip down would be very useful.

For example, the butterfly assembly is not shown dissembled on the part list and seemed to contain a couple of fibre like washers ... and I am trying to remember where a thin nylon washer fitted now!

Thanks.

Here the factory one ...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  8. 96roadking

96roadking Member

There also a photo pictorial, on harley-davidsonforums.com if you search for "Rebuilding a Keihin CV40 carb" ... albeit the individual is fitting Dynojet parts.

Sorry, due to forum settings I'm not allowed to post links for another year!!!
  9. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Thanks for uploading the factory manual exploded view.
    The carb diagram from my 97/98 Softail manual does not show what the part number 35 is.
    I just happened to let the top cover pop open and the spring flew out along with this part. I have no idea where it goes.
    It is not referenced in the Tuners kit instructions at all.
    Can anyone tell me what that part is and if it is needed? I am thinking it might just be a sleeve for the screw in the top cover that holds the throttle cable bracket. If so it is not critical and I will replace it when I tear into the carb again.
  10. 84FXRS

84FXRS Member

it appears to be exactly that, the screw that holds the cable bracket uses a
    sleeve, as you call it.
  11. 96roadking

96roadking Member

Correct.

It only fits in one corner, in the hole under the bracket.

I bought 3 more to fit in the other holes along with Allen bolts.

It's also worth replacing the screws on the bowl with Allen bolts/screws too ... they original ones are made out of putty.
  12. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Agreed. I am kicking myself for not ordering the chrome top cover (with chrome screws) with my tuner kit.
  13. kenfuzed

That sleeve is called a Collar by Harley-Davidson, part number 27263-96. It is only meant to provide support within the plastic cover and prevent it from cracking when tightening down the throttle cable bracket on top of it. If you are careful in how you tighten the top cover screw that passes through the throttle bracket you can get away without using this collar.
  14. 96roadking

96roadking Member

The collars are about $1.50 from the dealer. Watch out for sharks selling them on Ebay for $5 plus postage !?!

As above, the three other holes use screws already combined with collars. You cant separate them. They are replaceable with said collar and another screw/Allen bolt. if you want. Doesn't effect the carb either way.