1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Home made torque adapter

Discussion in 'Tech Tips' started by joshbob, Mar 27, 2012.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I found it impossible to use my torque wrench to torque the heads down on my shovelhead. Torque adapters can be bought, but can be expensive. If you're short on money and long on extra wrenches and sockets, you can make one like this. I used an old 9/16" box wrench and an old 3/8" drive socket and welded them together, with some modifications, as you can see from the photo.
    Mine is 2" center of box end to center of ratchet end. If you use it at 90 degrees to either side of the wrench you simply set the the torque the same as usual. If you need to use it straight out, here are some calculations you must use:

Multiply the torque setting you are using by the length of the torque wrench from center of ratchet to center of handle. 65 ft. lbs. X 14" = 910. (I am using numbers in my particular case).

Add 2" for the adapter. 910 + 2 = 912.

Divide 912 by total length of wrench (16" including adapter). 912 divided by 16 = 57. Set torque wrench to 57 ft. lbs.

I could get at all the head bolts with the motor still in the frame and only had to move the carb bracket out of the way (in my particular case).

Attached Files:

xcaret likes this.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Did you check it for correct torque settings by testing it first?
    xcaret likes this.
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Check it against what? I just used it and so far - 3 months later - head gasket still intact, no leaks.