1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How long does it take to get used to a new bike?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Sechott, Oct 10, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, looking through the corner is how you get though one.

And, staring at an object is the sure fire way to hit it.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's a good one to remember.
  3. 1985gt

1985gt New Member

Hello all new here but this topic is interesting to me.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was around 6 I'm 34 now, I've never owned a street bike but raced MX when I was younger until I could no longer (or my parents) could afford it. I good amount of my friend have ridden motorcycles for a number of years now and now I'm in a place where it feasible for me to buy one. Over the summer I would take my friends bikes out every once and awhile but was having a hard time getting comfortable on their bikes.

On the advise of my good friend whom I think is pushing me more then my wife to get a bike I took the MSF basic course. I was pretty reluctant at first but decided it was a good way to get information and a good way to get my license. I found the course great, there was a lot of refresher material involved and to me that was a good thing. I missed one question on the written test and did not receive any deductions on the drive portion (only one in class). I plan on taking the advanced course next year or the year after with my good friend who's been riding on the street since the 80's. He's so fond of the course he strongly encouraged his wife to take it even though she had a bike before.

On topic of riding with a passenger, I agree with others. Get conferable first. A few of my friends have asked when I do get a bike when will I take my wife for a ride. My response from the start has always been not until I'm comfortable. I most likely will be buying a bike I looked at yesterday, this week. It will be some time before she gets to ride along, even though she is a good passenger according to my good friend. The way I look at it is it won't just be me that gets hurt but her too.

So in short get a few 100 miles on that bike and get your self use to it first. It's also possible you may want to look at different bike.
  4. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Good advice, from bunch of guys with experience. Two easiest things for new riders to do... look at where they don't want to be and ride there and try to steer away and drift the opposite way. When you try to steer to the left, you in fact push slightly with your right hand and the bike goes right. Real important to understand counter steering... ;)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's called target fixation, people panic, look at the tree in the corner they are going in
    hot and bam, hit the tree.

Key is to not fixate on the bad target and to look through the curve or around the object and the bike will follow your eyes...
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, and you can even practice it when driven your car.

I have a road I take when on the bike that is full of those man hole covers. I practice going straight at them then either pushing right or left to miss the man hole cover. Helps to practice :D
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Funny, I do stuff like that, too.:)