1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How many have ever rode across a steel grated bridge.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 23, 2013.

1. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a short stumpy guy rode on one of our chapter rides recently. Bike in front of me was a husband and wife... we were on a pretty curvy road... he would slow down very slow for curves, sure taking care of his wife...ok by me, I gave him a little room as I soon found he would brake hard late. Guy behind me was stumpy...kept riding right on my fender... once at a stop light, told me to speed up... I just ignored him. Noticed at stops he talked and talked, was an expert on everything.. skiing out west, scuba, riding, etc. He was on a sportster... and his feet barely touched the ground. We stopped for lunch and he pulled part way into the parking lot, stopped in a dip and fell right over on his side. Now I don't want anyone to hurt themselves or their bike, but kinda hard not to laugh at him a bit. He was not hurt and never stopped talking. Was the owners fault for putting that dip there... :confused:
  2. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

It's OK to laugh. If I fell over(and I have) I would laugh at myself. Dropped my bike making a U-turn in my neighborhood. I,m lucky I didn't hurt myself pickin that 800lb beast up before anyone came by to see it on the ground. Laughin and gruntin. LOL :gah::roflmao:
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Those damn owners! :roflmao:
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

More gruntin', I'm sure! :roflmao:
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea when that happens you want to pick it up before anyone sees you. Never happens though.;) everyone I know has done it.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Try the Golden Gate two up in a 1978 GS400 on a windy day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. FLHTbiker

Yea but its paved :rolleyes:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah but the wind is something else, moves the bike around a lot more than steel.

Ridden several steel grates nothing big. However I bet that Mackinac bridge between lower MI and the You Pee is a beast, they have people that drive you over if you can't take it..

[​IMG]
  9. FLHTbiker

This bridge at the mouth of the Columbia river and the Pacific Ocean can be a real bear in high winds and fog. The semi truck was hit by over 100 MPH winds turning it over. They closed it after that and even close it when the fog is real bad.
    We have rode over it many times, even on a windy rainy day, not fun. Very cool when riding over it on a sunny calm day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD,

Attached Files:

10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's one hairy bridge.
  11. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Can't understand why they put a curved section in a creepy bridge like that. It looks bad enough without a curve!
  12. FLHTbiker

So the ships can get upriver. We got to get the foreign ships to haul our logs off to be milled and the finished wood shipped back to us and ship our NW grain overseas. :D

Attached Files:

13. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

FLHT, look at your last photo of the bridge with fog below. That curve is for cars to fall off into the ocean.
  14. FLHTbiker

It does look like your going to drive or ride right into the Columbia River. I would not cross that bridge in fog like that. To many head on accidents happen.