1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How Many Sportster owners on Bike Talk

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Panthera

Panthera New Member

It certainly looks lower to the ground than mine (or your lady is tall!). Happy riding!:)
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

My wife is like 5' 3"
  3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I liked the Sportster well enough I bought a second one last weekend. The price was too cheap to pass up. The new one is an 04 883C and the old one is a 94 883 hugger bore to 1200. My brother in law liked the bike and bought him a 1200 sportster and I'm selling my 1200 to my father inlaw. I think several others in the family are looking also, may end up with the whole tribe ridding sportsters... lol

Attached Files:

4. cardboard

For the difference in the money, I would rather buy a 1200 already from the factory.

Tell me I'm wrong but, by the time you bore the jugs or git new ones and pistons and a tuner for the bike yer gonna be the difference between the 883 to the 1200 .
  5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I'm not sure what the price comparison is but for $3800 I couldn't pass on the 04 883C. When I was a kid, my uncle bought a 900 cow and that was considered a super bike at the time. I gotta say I'm not dissapointed with the 883's performance. I'll probly not upgrade anytime soon, frail budget. If I ever scrape up the cash I'll be looking at a Dyna or a fatboy.
  6. cardboard

If you watch craingslist there are Sportsters for sale all over the U.S.
    I've seen some real good prices too.
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Actually more 'cause the heads are different on the inside - outside appearance is the same. Used to be that buying a base model 883 then converting to 1200 would leave you enough $$$ left over for a different seat, exhaust, etc. & you'd have a Sportster tailored to your liking for the same or less $$$ than a new 1200. But what you'd get for the $$$ savings changed a lot in 2004 & as of '07 with the introduction of fuel injection, there's no savings, unless you already know how to make the change from 883 to 1200 yourself & have all the tools/equip. to do it. Also, if you like all the chrome, larger gas tank, etc. that comes on a 1200C, you'd spend substantially more converting.
  8. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I scraped and moved up to a Dyna Super Glide. It is definitely a different beast. It took a bit of getting used to the different handling. It handles curves OK, but not like a sportster. On the curves I miss the sportster, but on the highways the Dyna is a better ride.

I never rode one of the 883s, so I cannot say what the performance change would be. The 1200 had plenty of zip though, as it had better pipes and a hypercharger. With a freer exhaust and a better breathing intake, the 883 performance should be fine, particularly for solo riding.

Enjoy the riding!
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

A "tax paid" 883 (aftermarket slip-ons, A/C, tuning) makes ~53 HP & thru 2003, weighs about 500 lbs. - newer ones ~565. Sportsters are geared lower too, so even an 883 has more "zip" than a big twin. The biggest difference between an 883 & a 1200 is torque - ~48 ft/lbs for the 883 & ~74 for a 1200 (both "tax paid"). An 883 isn't good for 2-up riding or long runs down the interstate, but for solo around town, on the backroads, etc., they're loads of fun & ~50 mpg doesn't hurt either. I have ridden one 230 miles with a group on the interstate & had no problem keeping up, but it's not as comfortable as a BT & rubber-mount ('04-up) or not, you'll feel the V-Twin vibration more 'cause you're running a higher rpm than a BT @ the same speed.
  10. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Rode my 05 883 from Charleston WV down to Cherokee NC in June. Ran I-64 at about 90 trying to catch up with wifey who was behind us in the car. Yeah long story, they stopped we didn't know, blew by them and kept running trying to catch our tail at that point. When we got Cell service again we found them 30 minutes behind us. Pics of my Sport are on here. Stripped down, no windshield no bags, it had no trouble keeping up with the BT that was with me. I think it just boils down to a lot of folks just have soft rears. 16 hour day (couldn't find the dang cabin either GRRRR but atleast it was in front of us still). Not going to lie felt like someone kicked me real good that night. Got up next morning and was fine (to my surprise) and rode all the following week and back home. Same trip I ran the Dragon's Tail and over to Pigeon Forge TN (Won't go back there again PITA to get around in that town). LOVE my Sporty, but thinking about a Dyna for two up at some point. Sporty will always be with me though if I have anything to do with it.
  11. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

1998 XL883 Hugger. My wife's "starter bike". She rode it for about 2 years then sold it because of too many close calls with cell-phone-yappin'-dumbasses-in-cars. Nice bike. I might have kept it if we didn't already have too many things to pay for. And no, I don't think Sportsters are girls' bikes either.

Attached Files:

12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

a sporty was the second thing I bought when I came home from the army HD dealer had a good used 69 1200 that was in feb 72 & that yr still had the right side shifter , rode it for many years
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Cowboy, I got out in Nov. 72 and the first bike I got was a CB 350. Rode that bike a long time. Back then that 1200 was a big bike. I remember when the CB 750 came out, holly crap we thought they were huge. I did have a 305 honda for a year when I got stuck on the Island of Guam. Rode that all over that tiny island 35 miles long and if I remember it was 8 miles wide.
  14. cowboy

FLHT I got out in Feb 72 had the sporty then , I got it when I came state side , I rode a 305 dream for a few years , that's all I could aford after the first wife took me to the cleaners :gah: but I was riding & did'nt care she never knew about my other bank acount , so I had my brother pick me up & off the the store bought a case of beer & about half why throu it off to the HD dealer :D & the rest thy say is history :cool:
  15. FLHTbiker

Cowboy, I hear you about the first wife. Mine when she found out my current wife and I bought a used bike I wound up back in court being drilled by her and her divorce lawyer wanting to know where I got the money to buy a 3,500 dollar bike. When we bought our first brand new Harley I rode it right up to her house and honked then waved at her. :D You could see the smoke coming out of her ears. :)
  16. cowboy

That's almost what I did , except she was at a club & I stoped in for a drink & had a gal on the back boy did her lawyer call me first thing in the morning just told them both where to go in a not so nice way :eek:
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

son has an 883, Had the chance to bring it back from laramie so it doesn't set out in the snow, 190lbs at about 85mph and room to grow. that was the up hill side. made me appriciate my faring more since the head wind ws about 50-55+, reminds me of what not to miss, although it is periodicly missed.
  18. FLHTbiker

My daughter bought a new 1200 Sporster back in 01 and I taught her to ride it up at the community college. She got her license and was just starting to ride when she lost her job. Within a few months I had to sell it for her. It was a nice small bike and even being stock it had plenty of power and rode real nice. She did have a problem with the forward controls on it but would have just been a matter of getting used to it. Now she is married and has small kids so doubt she will be back on a bike for a long time.
    Yea, her mother just fumed when she bought it. :)
  19. cardboard

Does this count ?

[​IMG]