1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hyperchargers - are they worth it

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tjandt3, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Your on the money its hard to get cyclinder fill in a earlier post I wrote I said biger is not always better.I have a 95 FLHT 1340 which is inpossible to get cyclinder fill.So I run 1200 sportster heads reworked to fit my 1340 they have been hoged out with a crane cam and a thunder header two in to one and a few other things. You can fool a motor its getting cyclinder fill which makes power. As I say in my earlier post its like a 40 foot river runing into a 5 foot stream the force coming out of the end of the 5 foot stream is much more powerfull and has alot of torque
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Not really. You have to think about it as a simple pump. the volume displacement is the movement of the piston only. Compression doesn't factor in on the volume displacement over time.

Again, this is for naturally aspirated engines only, no turbo or blower.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I always look at the rider on the side and give a thumbs up or down sign, looking for the same in return. You drop the thumb down you'll get help.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. Hell, I turned around for a young kid on an old BMW the other day to make sure he was ok. Same deal, thumb up.....thumb down.....

Believe it or not, I had a cop do the same for me the other day. I was on the side of the road fixin my glasses, and he rolled up and actually asked me if I was ok. (Meanwhile my pipes are rappin nice and loud) I said all good, He smiles and says have a good day, and drives away. Meanwhile I'm sittin there saying what did he just say??? Have a nice day?? Damn that's a switch. Last time I heard that I was readin a summons. :D
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Battling hypercharger myths

I copied this a couple years back from a post Mike Roland made over on HTT.

OK, I have to say something here. There are a lot of misconceptions about the Hypercharger here. Firts, it is not a farced air induction. The Hyper is vented on the bottom side to prevent that from happening. Next, the Pro "R" Hyper is a complete new design I worked on with our design team. There has been a great deal of technology and testing put into this air cleaner.

On the S&S carbs, there has been historically a problem with the bowl vent on the Hyper/S&S combo. This has been addressed with a built in a dam on our new filters.

I am going to cut and paste in red a reply I made to a couple of different customers questions explaining a lot about the Kuryakyn air cleaners. There is some information about flow numbers discussed there that has not been discussed in this thread, it is there because it comes up all the time.

I have done extensive scientific testing on the air cleaners with both the proper type fixture with an expansion area built into it and at high pressure differentials as compared to a lot of the testing I have seen. We also did a considerable amount of dyno testing. Because there is no standard for AC testing, the numbers we have mean nothing when you try to use the data to compare to anyone else's data. It creates a big problem with the public not understanding that most of the CFM figures for air cleaners out there were all done with different testing procedures at different test pressures. I ran into this first hand on a discussion board I am on. There was a thread on how much do different air cleaners flow and how much flow do you need for a certain cubic inch engine. It turned into a fiasco where nobody could agree with each other on anything. People were throwing out all kinds of flow numbers and formulas for figuring how much flow or area you need in the element. It went on forever and I think people knew less when they were done than when they started. This is why I won't go there and get rapped around that axle. There is no winning in the flow number game. For this reason this data is for our own knowledge and we do not publish it. I prefer to tell you what we have found to be the upper horsepower potentials for each of our air cleaners. This is what is really important to the end user. All of our AC's flow a great deal more air than a stock AC, and will enhance a stock bikes performance, but the difference really comes out when you start having higher HP engine builds.

Just so you know, the Hypercharger is not meant to force high pressure air into the intake tract. They are vented on the bottom to prevent this because it can cause carburetion problems. A lot of people do not understand this either.

The original Hypercharger is good to about 90 HP before it starts to cost you a percentage of your HP. An example is our 95 Wide Glide with a Wild Things hop-up makes 120 HP with our High Five AC installed. With the original Hypercharger installed it makes about 104HP. Even though the bike made 104 HP with the Hypercharger, it lost power, so we do not say it is a 104 HP AC. On a 90 HP engine, the Hypercharger will allow you to make 90 HP. We do have a new upgrade called the Stinger that adds more element and more opening to it. This will make the Hypercharger able to support up to a tested 130

HP. It may go beyond that, but that is the highest we have tested it at so far.

The Twin Velocity is good to about 100 HP.

The Pro Hypercharger is good for 110 HP.

The new Pro "R" Hypercharger is a new advanced design and flows an extreme amount of air. We have not found the upper limits of this air cleaner yet. The highest power bike we have had to test on in the shop was over 140/140 for HP and TQ. I estimate this air cleaner to be able to feed an engine in the 150's for HP. Maybe higher.

The new High Five is in the same league as the Pro "R". It will supply enough air for just about any street build you can come up with.

Both the High Five and the Pro "R" are some of the highest flowing AC's I have tested, and I have tested most all of the popular high flow aftermarket AC's. Part of this not only has to do with the end breathing element technology but also in the design of the backing plate. It has an insert that goes over the bolts after you install it. There are then no stand-offs or bolts to cause turbulence at the entry. The backing plate leads the air from a flat surface 90 degrees to the throat to a parabolic
    curve radius into the throat of the carb or throttle body. This is the best shape you can have for the entry to an orifice.

I know I gave you a little more information than you probably needed, but I thought you might find it interesting. What it means to your VTX1800 is, the Pro Hypercharger flows more air than your bike can make with just an air cleaner and a pipe.

I hope this information helps you.

Best regards,
    Michael Jay Roland
    Performance Division Manager
    Kuryakyn Holdings

I used the hypercharger with the new stinger breather end element for the past few years and it worked great...and I like the looks. My new bike is likely going to be getting his hi-five air cleaner.