1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hypothetical Build

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 19, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Buy a built s&s 124 or 116. Been there got the Tshirt. Problem with a build like this is you end up with weak HD cases and a massive engine. Cases are not designed to handle that big engine

Plus you loose it when you sell it

Quality engine. Put s&s IST ignition gives two year warranty stronger cases specifically made to take the big inch power

Or.

Buy HD 124. Out if box 135 hp/tq

Bolt in ride have fun. If you sell bike bolt stock engine back in move new engine to new bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I was just on Black Widows site and I was looking at the BW-62 grind, pretty similar to the that Reaper 594 with more lift. With both the Reaper cam and the BW, would you consider them to have an aggressive ramp rate? Black Widows site stated the same that the 117" are very responsive. :cool:

A lot of compression on the static side, but the corrected factor drops me down to 9.8, can live with that.
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

the fueling 594 is in a class of its own split lift split duration a hell of a lot of duration on the exhaust side . compared to the other two cams and a lsa of 114.and the intake close @ 56 deg abdc its a runner but it also likes gearing. you meant the crane was similar to the bw
  4. baggerpaul

ya I would not try to run that kind of torque in stock cases , a set of real cases is in order . s&s case set are not that pricey for what ya get
  5. JohnnyBiker

Would you use an HD crank or not?
  6. baggerpaul

sure after its welded and balanced and got at a real good price. for just a little more you can by one from dark horse DONE AND READY TO GO
  7. JohnnyBiker

$1500 for a DH 4.375 crank is not a bad price and it is already trued and plugged vs. the SE crank that would have to have all of that done. If used an SE crank then you would have about $2k-$2500 in it..
  8. baggerpaul

;) like i said only if i got it at a good price i would use an se . You can put the money toward a set of cases
  9. JohnnyBiker

When I was looking at Wood's site, I was looking at the Prowler corrected push rod geometry support plates. I didn't look at the price, but in an engine like a 117", is that geometry that crucial?
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What? Your going to start a new build on the bike or is this a new bike. :D
  11. hotroadking

I ran a 124 in stock HD B cases as SNS doesn't make B cases or didn't at the time
    wish I had the picture of the bore to the cases to fit the cyl, you could see the side of
    the center case bolt and it was v shaped as it is bored with the cases making it a weak spot, going over 107 in HD 103 cases (96) means you have to bore the cases.

this is where you get the weakness and the main bearings have to be replaced
    with better stronger bearings and support plates.

By the time you add it up you are not far off from a 120R out of the box
    that is made to be a 120R from HD SE.

As to flywheels, SNS they were designed to be 124 flywheels

Nothing wrong with building it, but if I do it again I'll just buy a
    new HD 120R and bolt it in, much less labor involved as well
    as the work required to build your own, you could go from 103 or 110
    to 124 in an afternoon of wrenching.
  12. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

116", 117", 124"????? You all must be founding members of the "If some is good, and more is better, then too much should be just enough" club. JB you just got your hot rod put together and already you're thinkin bigger?? I love it!! lol

Aloha....Mike
  13. baggerpaul

Just thinking out loud i assume . But who knows? He is a crazy ! Dude you never know with jb
  14. baggerpaul

that center upper case bolt area is very thin after case bore work is done . My buddys softail only has room for a 1/4 24 bolt in that area when his was done only hd cases were being used also
  15. hotroadking

yep it is a very very weak point no doubt...
  16. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

:gah::gah::gah::gah::gah::witsend: I think JB needs to start a shop that customizes bikes and that way he gets paid and he spends their money to produce a nice bike!!! JB thinking out loud gets very dangerous!!! I just need a cocktail, take a deep breath, and try and quiet the voices in his head. :roflmao::picked:
  17. baggerpaul

im not going up until its full blown summer so dont worry its gonna be a long time ! you all got plans this summer so dont worry about a thing. ha!
  18. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

:eek:, you didn't like our spring? :roflmao:
  19. baggerpaul

it was nice on sat a tad cold but it was very nice to suck down a cold one out in the sun!
  20. JohnnyBiker

No, I am not planning on building anything this year. My goal is to get you on a different bike. Just curious how people would go about building an engine from the ground up. We could just buy one that is already done, sure, but that just doesn't sound like much fun to me. I would rather be the one that has control over how the engine performs. Of course with a 117 CI engine, it is made for only thing really, no matter how it's built. Relax, just going to get this one running top notch for now. :D
    Last edited: May 21, 2013