1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hypothetical Build

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 19, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well building is fun I've done several, for a twincam 96 I'd just do the top end making it a 106 SNS do the heads, drop on a 57mm throttle body, sns 585 cams for a bagger, did my buddies and it is in the high teens on HP and TQ almost a fat flat curve.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Look at all the down time and extra money you would spend. Be satisfied what yea got and just enjoy riding it.
  3. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

JB I don't know what you do for a living but if you got any openings let me know. Somehow I seem to be spending more in the brothel than I'm making.

:devil:

Aloha....Mike
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

My wife and I are fairly comfortable. Here is the thing. Once I decide that I am going to do this, I will buy parts here and there and not all at once as I have obligations just like the next person. I certainly would have liked to have been able to buy everything for my current project all at once, but that just isn't how I do things. I did that once with and I wasn't (am not) completely satisfied with the results. I told myself that I would never buy a package deal again.
  5. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

I would say this build turned out awesome. Buying slowly sometimes gives a person a chance to think and look around to see what would be the best fit, therefore giving you the product you have! :cool:
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I wished you guys would have been around when I stroked the Dyna years back..89 inch. It was fast but a little fragile. Now that I'm going through this apprenticeship and learning about bearings, compressors and generally getting a better understanding of mechanics I would not have gone that route but a big bore instead. so to answer the question I would go with a relatively low compression large displacement engine that would happliy pull my bride and I with a loaded trailer up some of the mountain passes in Colorado without pinging. What I need to learn is how cams affect performance and how to select the proper cam for my application. I'll get around to that soon
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know of several around here have put in the HD 255 cam and had excellent results in torque. Course I know Some here will push the woods.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah,but rentals are cheaper than buying in the long run..;):devil:
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

On some/most of the Evo's, big bore with stock cases was iffy...S&S didn't even offer their 96" sidewinder kit for '89-'92....all you could safely put in stock cases was the 89" stroker...you needed a new block if you wanted to go big bore...Would have added about $1200 to the bill when I looked into it...so I stuck with 80"...
  10. hotroadking

Yeah on the evo's we were pretty limited the twin cam is
    a lot more versatile
  11. JohnnyBiker

I was doing some reading on HTT and there was a thread that was showing that the 594 Reaper is pretty strong in a 117" engine, but it looked that a 662 did better? Hmmm, I will have to look into that a little more..:D
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

. put the 594 on stilts hmmm now that's a thought:D
  13. baggerpaul

valve train geometry is super crucial if its not good the guides suffer if the guides suffer the valve job wont last at all in short time you start to loose compression , the valve is centrick to the guide any time you go above 590 lift its time for good support plates and roller rockers
  14. JohnnyBiker

Has anyone here ever used Lunati TC cams?
  15. baggerpaul

Lunati is owned by holley witch is also crane they are all in bed together. Your just buying a name . Same product. And now sns owns crane mc grind numbers.
  16. JohnnyBiker

If a person is running the tapered push rods, that alone doesn't correct the issue of the push rods hitting the tubes does it???
  17. baggerpaul

what i have found is the tapered push rods add more room but when you get above 570 lift you can have contact inside the tube . I set them up in the lathe a turn then down on the inside just a little then the push rods dont rub .the taperd ones seem to work the best and have the most room inside the tubes . You can push on the tubes with your finger while motor is running and feel them rub the tubes will flex very easy then the adjustment nut on the fatter end of the push rod will rub . There is not much room in there.
  18. JohnnyBiker

If you were using the Fueling cam plate and the Fueling oil pump, would you still use the Baisley LMR spring to gain more oil pressure even though Fueling claims more flow, pressure and better scavenging with that combo?
  19. baggerpaul

i wouldnt use either they are not a good set up the pump assemblys wet sump over night i dont like them and they are nothing but trouble stock plates with the pumps set up correct are awesome and no sumping! many of over 100 hp bikes out there with factory pumps and plates
  20. hotroadking

No BP you can't run stock parts, all parts must be replaced
    otherwise it's not a custom build...