1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Idle screw adjustment, jet size

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by NeilP, Jan 24, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I have seen a few references to adjusting the Idle screw...not the EZ-just the idle screw....

is that the one on the bracket that the Throttle cable outers fix to? or is there another plugged off adjuster on the carb that I have missed?

Bike is 2004 883 Sportster, just fitted the CVP kit, V-Ductor, E-Z Just and Big Sucker. Standard Exhaust as the Cycle Shack/Screaming eagle slip ons I did fit are just too noisy, I know I would have trouble in Europe with them on.

I have gone up to 42 from 40 pilot and 175 from 170 main.

The EZ Just can be screwed in l the way, with no noticeable change. I am wondering if I should go back to the 40 pilot jet till I swap the exhausts again. I am 99.9% sure I did not loose any packing material from behind the old mixture screw. The job was done on a clean bench all on a big tray , and i was aware that they may come out, so was extra careful when I tipped the old adjuster screw out into my hand....the packing ring and 'O' ring could not have escaped....could they?

I seem to get a backfire from the carb every time I close the throttle on the overrun, and cant seem to get rid of it no matter where I set the EZ-Just, from all the way in to 3 turns out.
    I have checked the exhaust and all joints seem tight. I may see if I can find anyone with new exhaust seals tomorrow, but i doubt if I will get any locally. Will probably have to order some from England...so another weeks waiting.

I will have another look tomorrow, maybe go back to the 40 pilot jet and see what happens.

Unless anyone has any other ideas

Neil
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Neil - the screw on the cable is for rpm adj. - the one yer lookin for is on the bottom left side as yer lookin at the carb. it is the low idle adj. and may be covered by a lead plug unless you have already installed an EZ-just. Bout 2- 3 turns out will put you in the ballpark. And a 42 jet shouldn't be to far off since the factory sets to lean anyhow.
    Make sure the bike is warmed up before attemping to set the idle.
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Yep have already installed the EZ-just.

I probably did not explain my self very well on the first post. I'l try again

I have see a thread on here that mentions setting the tickover with the IDLE SCREW to about 900-950 rpm....before adjusting the EZ-Just Idle Mixture. I imagine what they are referring to is the butterfly valve stop screw on the side of the carb on the frame that connects the cables to the carb.

I have been unable to use the old oval cover on the Big Sucker, it leaves a half inch of filter exposed to the rain, so have put the standard filter and air box back on for now, till I find another round cover.

Have put the 170 and 40 jets back on for now, as per the instructions that come with the CVP kit, but have left the CVP needle, emulsion tube and EZ-Just.

I have double checked and the 'O'Ring, backing washer and spring are all there on the EZ-Just screw, but, I do not find that any setting from about 1 1/2 turns to 4 turns out makes a great deal of difference.

Will try to re jet again when I can find a cover for the Big Sucker and the exhaust pipes arrive
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ok - let us know when ya get it done and then we can fiqure out where to go from there.:)
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Cheers

Think for now it is all going back to standard, I want to do it all in one go, Filter, exhaust and carb, so will now wait till I can find a more suitable exhaust.