1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ignition Issue?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 21, 2014.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well I didn't want ya to get yer panties in a wad :D
  2. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    So you mean us on giant dildos somehow are better??? Mine vibrates better than yours too!
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well my issue hasn't gone away. Next I am going to take the bike out and get it warm. Then while running I am going to take the vacuum hose off of the carb and see if the rpm's drop. If they don't, then chances are my VOES is junk. Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  4. JohnnyBiker

I readjusted my clutch have because of a different issue and my pinging, after this ride anyways wasn't there. I am just mystified.

5. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    Maybe you over adjusted it and it's slipping instead of pulling. If it's slipping I doubt it will ping.
  6. JohnnyBiker

It was pinging when under load in lower gears. It is slipping in 5th at highway speed trying to give a fist full of throttle.

7. JohnnyBiker

This sucks! Keep trying to get back to my Sportster to get my issue resolved and I keep getting dragged away. Some days I tell ya!

8. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Just tell work you have a sick kid to deal with. Sportster kind of like one of the family, and you did get it tatted on your arm like a baby's portrait or a childs name...I'd give you the time off!
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  9. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I got a 1980 thousand CC Iron-head with a S and S Super E carb. There is one thing that causes pops. It's when the intake manifold is not clamped to the heads like it should be and there is some leak. Initially I used rubber O-rings, which fit the heads right and two piece clamps. The clamps got changed into the wrap around kind. In order to make them O-rings seal good I use some black electrical tape around them under the clamps. Oh and I make sure the carb is help up with the support that came with it.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Well after I got my Sportster back together I was out riding it and I was disappointed to hear that I still think that I have an issue with the ignition. It is pinging. I do have some old gas in the tank as my bike gas been sitting for nearly the whole summer. I switched my ignition to engage the VOES and does go away. I am now seriously considering on changing over to the DTT nose cone unit for my bike. However I am going to wait and see what happens when I get some fresh gas in. What a pain. :rolleyes:
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

With big inch engines you don't want to run VOES but with normal HD engines it should be connected...