1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

ignition woes! 80 sportster??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by maxboomer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. maxboomer

maxboomer New Member

sporty wont start
    new points new condenser, will not go back to electronic ignition, i am fed up with it! old school applies here folks. here's whats up, will crank and back fire, and choke up through the super e carb,tried advance and retard on the timing plate, even advance a little further with the help of my buddy mr. dremmel, to no avail i still cant start my wheelchair. i have spark,at points and at plugs, i have a mini coil suppling 80 thousand volts. everything is correct. i do have a bigger cam, and it is a stage 2 screaming eagle sporty, i am soooooooo close please help me
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You need three things to get a motor to run

Gas
    Compression
    Spark.

Check compression on both cylinders, when the changes were made did you put in adjustable pushrods? Regardless one or more of the valves may not be closing fully so you wouldn't get compression.

See Mikey and Vinnie build their first motor and it wouldnt run on national TV, all because the adustables were not setup correctly and they had no compression, I was yelling at the TV LOL you could tell because it just turned over and over.

Check for spark,

Check for fuel.

Pretty much it, other parts are fine tuning, unless you have a bad component in the mix. Rule out the others and it will point you to the solution.