1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Intake Manifolds

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 11, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

When I was going to send my stuff to Kirby him and I had discussed sending the intake to him for port matching so that has been planned for about a year already...:rolleyes:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nope,I knew you were having it done and having it done by the same guy doing the head work is the way to go about it....

In this thread you were considering doing a job on your manifold and thought if 80 grit is good then 24 might be better....I don't know anything about porting except leave to the Pro's that do it for a living because in the hands of a novice like you or me there would be a much greater chance we would fck it up rather than get it right...
    Starting off with a 24 grit made me think you'd end up changing the shape/contours of the manifold like scratch it up too deep to fix,or flatten out a contour that shouldn't be...like I said I don't know how to port and I wouldn't want to try to learn on a part I'm going to be using.

Old stuff you're not going to use anymore is what you experiment/learn on:D;)
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Single plane intakes can be a pain in the arse . Can make or break a good build just like exhaust . Bigger ain't always. Better just like port work. Dig to much f up a good set of heads.
  4. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

JB...IMHO only.... Portmatching a steet bike makes sense on paper at least. Unless you have some seriously miss-matched ports I highly doubt you will notice the difference. The port matching should (if done correctly) show up on a dyno. It won't be any huge leap in numbers. I'm sure somewhere out there someone has documented the performance gain in a street motor from portmatching. It makes sense in that the motor runs more efficiently and I for one would enjoy my ride just a little bit more if I were to have it done to my bike, but the enjoyment would really only be in KNOWING it was done.

Porting on the other hand to me makes no sense on a street motor.

If you want performance you can really feel.......Stroke it, re-gear it, or both.

again IMHO only...good luck to you whatever you decide.

Aloha..Mike
  5. JohnnyBiker

:wtf: People??? It was recommended to me by a pro builder that everyone here seems to kneel to so what is the issue??? I am just following his recommendation is all... AND I AM NOT THE ONE DOING IT!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:
  6. JohnnyBiker

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Use a pink 80 grit porting stone for shaping spray wd on the stone to keep it from getting caked up . Work slow no pressure . Finish off with a cross buff red . No pressure . Do not change the short turns on the carb inlet side on left and right side of manifold ! Don't get creative and you will be ok