1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

intermittant noise in front cylinder . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 4, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad you said that I was wondering how that horn switch was gonna work
    I think it'd kill the coil until it was pressed because it's open all the time.

You need to go to a radio shack and get a closed button like BP said..
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

20131121_1 (640x480).jpg I think I see . . . I would want a button or switch that would interrupt or break the circuit? This old skool style button was made to go on the bars . . . but I assume it would close the circuit when mashed and I want it to do the opposite?
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah,your horn button is a normally open switch,you push the button to complete the circuit...horn blows...A normally closed switch opens the circuit when you push the button...With that switch(normally closed)the horn would be blowing all the time until you pressed the button...
  4. joshbob

I found one on Ebay that looks exactly like mine (see pic above) except it has 2 wires (momentary on/off, whatever that means) and it's supposed to work for horn or engine shut off.
    I suppose it works either way depending on how it's wired? Bet a dollar it doesn't have wiring instuctions :rolleyes:.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  5. hotroadking

What are you looking for a kill switch or interrupt switch.

A momentary will require you to hold in the button until
    the engine quits, I would presume that would work as long as
    you keep it pressed or could keep it pressed in an emergency
    situation.

A kill switch will depress and open the circuit and you will have to press it
    again to close the circuit...

The momentary would work as long as you keep it depressed until the engine
    dies...
  6. joshbob

Here is a schematic I drew up in 2010 of my electrical system, minus the horn which I'm not running anymore (chops don't need no stinking horns, turn signals, etc. LOL). Since I drew this up, I included a 30 amp fuse between the battery & regulator - simple chopper style - and the whole system has worked flawlessly for two years now . . .

I would like to go with the momentary button simply because it's retro (read: elegant), plus the price is right at $18. Nearly all of the kill switches I've seen are quite pricy & would look out of place on my scooter.

I'm gonna practice LONG and HARD getting used to the jockey shift/suicide clutch/kill button on our mostly isolated back country roads until I feel confident enough to go forth into "real" traffic.
    20131121_2 (640x480).jpg
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The trouble with a momentary switch is the moment you release the switch you have a closed circuit again, thus current is once again flowing through the switch. A momentary switch will work for grounding a circuit momentarily.

There are 2 methods for accomplishing a kill switch; 1) interrupt the current flowing through a circuit with a traditional On/Off style switch or, 2) momentarily send the positive current of a circuit to ground. The first method is ideal because it completely stops the flow of current. The second method grounds out a circuit for a moment disrupting the normal circuit, but you don't want to do this on any circuit where there is a high current flow. This is the reason starting circuits use solenoids so that the high current is not routed through the switch itself. You don't want to ground any high current circuit or you will quickly burn the switch and wire between either the switch and circuit or switch and ground.

Where are you planning on attaching the kill switch?
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Some toggle switches look retro and are less than $18.00 and when you flip the switch you'll open the circuit...no juice flowing...If you use a NC momentary contact switch and the bike is still rolling,your plugs could fire again when you let off the switch and the circuit closes again...
    I think for a kill switch you might be better off with a toggle switch rather than a horn button type momentary switch
  9. joshbob

I was planning on attaching the button on the handlebars just above the left grip. I'd just have to stretch out my thumb and push.

I don't want to use a toggle switch on the bars . . .
  10. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

You could find a switch like a snowmobile kill switch, it is made to mount on handlebars, and on older sleds usually is mounted alone. You want it near your dominant hand, as in a quick exit you don't have time to think sometimes. Check with a small engine repair shop in your area, they should have some catalogues that will even show old listings. Looks similar to the pic you have, but with two wires. Likely mid 70's sled on down. Hope this helps. If you have not got one in a week or two, msg me and I'll see if I can find one at the sled graveyard at the cottage next time I'm up.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yes Josh you don't want a switch that will not keep the engine dead when your hand comes off it , sometime looks & safety wont go together
  12. hotroadking

get a small black kill switch from radio shack, drill the bars and run the wire inside the bars, that way it's just a little black button on the bars, hard to see and there for your use.

I'm concerned like ken you don't keep it in long enough and let go and the bike takes off on you.

Safety first...
  13. joshbob

You guys are right. I'm still searching the web - I doubt the Shack will have a switch that will attach to 1" bars. Here's something I found that might work . . . it's intended as a dimmer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  14. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

did you get the manifold josh?
  15. baggerpaul

ok I just tracked your package it arrived at Scotland neck north Carolina . don't know were the hell that is. is that the post office that services you?
  16. joshbob

Scotland Neck is 7 miles north of here. We have a Post Office here but it's only open half days now. I GOT THE PACKAGE TODAY! The adaptor looks great, BP, you did a fine job - everything lines up perfectly. I was gonna take a picture, but in my excitement, I assembled everything and got it on the bike. There was no need to sand anything. Took longer than expected as I had to tweak the carb brace that holds the carb up and had trouble getting the new intake clamps on. Started it up and it idles fine. No vacuum leaks.

I can't ride quite yet as the jockey stuff hasn't arrived - I thought the release arm and heim joint would have been here by now. But I did tell Kevin there was no hurry because the bike wasn't running then. Hopefully the stuff will arrive tomorrow, the last decent weather day . . . after tomorrow, the temps will drop drastically - highs in the 40s & low 50s all next week with rain . . .

Paul, I will be going into the recording studio sometime next spring to make a CD. If you are interested, I'll send you a copy . . .
  17. baggerpaul

Awesome glad it was to your liking ! I would like a cd please! Let me know how it runs . Also disregard the message I left I was just worried that you had not gotten it yet.
  18. joshbob

Here is a pic of the carb on the bike & a pic of the shifter mocked up . . . 20131122_1 (640x480).jpg 20131122_2 (640x480).jpg
  19. baggerpaul

20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Man Josh , your getting it all ready , Looks good carb & Shifter , as for the temps had the AC on this morning & by Noon had it off & by 1400 Had the heater on cold & wet