1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

intermittant noise in front cylinder . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 4, 2013.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, almost there. Sounds like roller coaster weather down Texas way . . . I think our warm weather is about over after today. Gonna have to bundle up if I want to ride.

Had to shorten the "slap stick" 2 1/2" as it was too tall. Also shortened the inner shift arm about an inch and a half, rebent it & redrilled the hole that takes the shoulder bolt/bushing. The idea here is to have a little extra leverage when disengaging the clutch. I'm attempting to set it up where I don't have to take my foot off the peg to operate the clutch. When the release arm arrives, I'll be able to fine tune everything.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. joshbob

Went out just now to start it up again and I noticed it started a lot easier - second kick after the cleanout. Yesterday it started first kick after cleanout. So I'm seeing benefits already from the smoother transition from carb to combustion chambers :cool:.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Maybe you'll need one of those kill switches that you tie around your wrist like on the jet skis ;):D....LOL

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
  4. joshbob

:rolleyes:.Well, I think I found one I can live with. Pic on post #193.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  5. Lucifer

Yeah...Just trying to make a joke:oops:Fail!!:p
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Were does it ground to
  7. joshbob

I don't know. I think it may have a ground wire or the switch housing itself might ground to the bars. There's not much info on it.
  8. joshbob

Been thinking that if I need to shut the motor down, all I have to do is reach down and turn the ignition off. Takes a second or less - I've been practicing. Why didn't I think of that before?

I did learn more than I expected about the difference between momentary switches and on/off switches, dimmers, etc. But I don't think I'm gonna be using anything but the ignition switch to kill the motor.

It's always an education here on Bike Talk!
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. joshbob

Today I got the extended release arm & heim joint in the mail. After mocking it up I found I'm gonna have to reroute most of my oil lines. So, I will run new lines under the tranny, away from the rear exhaust pipe, something that Tattoo has been trying to get me to do anyway. This improvement will clean up the clutter between the motor and tranny.Must also make another threaded linkage rod as I made the first one too short :rolleyes:.

I'm also fabbing up a couple of trick carb supports I designed out of flat stock & 1/4" rod that will come off the bottom of the rocker boxes and attach to either side of the flange that holds the air cleaner on. It's gonna add a custom touch and give extra support so the carb won't sag or vibrate loose from the adaptor. I'll post pics when everything is finished sometime next week . . .
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well it's winter in Nawth Caraliner, Ol JB's got a build project..

don't forget pictures...
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well the weather here is a bit on the chilly side , Josh this cool snap will stick around a few days so you'll have time if ya have enough wood for the ole stove/heater , & like HRK said PICS
  12. joshbob

The rain finally pushed through after 2 solid days of it. Fired up the wood burner last nite and noticed rust had eaten my stove pipes away. Big puddle on the floor.

I'm bringing Mac the Wife's propane heater in the shop and I'm heading out to Walley-world (I think I heard they're open today) to get some propane bottles. If NAPA's open, I'll pick up some 3/8" oil hose, too.
  13. joshbob

Well boys, I got her all together a couple hours ago . . . went for s spin and there was a noticable boost in power & responsiveness. Kind of took me by surprise . . . heh heh . . . also she starts up easy, even on a cold day (low 40s out). Thanks again, Paul!

The jockey shift works great! I can work the clutch without removing my foot from the peg. I definitely need more practice though - especially coming up the ramp into the shop - it was hairy the first time LOL. Here's two pics, the first showing the new oil lines going under the tranny for a much cleaner appearance. The second pic shows the jockey shift arrangment. Boys, 20131129_1 (640x480).jpg 20131129_2 (640x480).jpg I'm stoked.
  14. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

My pleasure.
  15. hotroadking

16. joshbob

Think I'm through fabbin' & wrenchin' for a while - give my hands a chance to heal up and go out tomorrow and ride - I don't care how cold it is.
  17. hotroadking

On discovery network this spring...

Josh Bob Choppers Inc....
  18. Lucifer

I can't get over how clean every inch of that bike is...flat black and polished aluminum and it shines...That's nice work Josh...shifter is cool :cool:

How 'bout...Josh Bobbers Inc...
  19. joshbob

Nice play on words there, boys, but building one in a lifetime is enough for me. I'm content watching the perfessionals do their thing :woot:.
  20. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I have to throw in my 2 cents worth too. I agree with Lucifer, your bike is very, very nicely styled, Joshbob , I'd love to see it in a Timmies parking lot up here.