1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

intermittant noise in front cylinder . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 4, 2013.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Your bike is so nice it would make anyone a proud owner. You have done a fantastic job on it and and she does look very clean and love that shifter. Great job and nice job there to Paul. Josh, you should enter it in a biker build show, I think you would win.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

20131201_1 (640x480).jpg It's just an everyday rider, but thanks for the compliment. Heading out later today to get some gas and then grab a Subway. Man & machine must have fuel . . .
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Man Joshbob you did a darn good job on your sled , I have to agree with the rest , A TV show for ya , wood worker goes Old school Harley builds
  4. joshbob

I guess if a fella wants to ride bad enough, he'll do just about anything to achieve that goal. I'm just happy the bike is running good right now - but no TV show, thank you, LMAO.

The next 4 days are lookin' good for riding - temps anywhere from 60 today to the mid 70s later in the week - oh yeah. Tattoo's been out of town for Thanksgiving and will be back to work today. He wants to see the new tank and shifter, so I'm riding out to his shop this morning . . .
  5. joshbob

Tattoo Tony was quite impressed with the changes I made to the bike. He especially liked the tank, but still insists I get a kill switch.

So, I ordered a momentary button switch from J&P, the type that went on early bikes and is attached to the bars with two sheet metal screws and the wires run inside the bars. It has two wires; one grounds to the frame, and one attaches to the top (negative end) of the coil. It's a compromise getting a momentary switch, but the "real" ones were just so bulky or made out of plastic I couldn't see any of them on my sickle.

Dang, where would I be without J&P? The vintage tech support guy told me how to wire it in. :cool: . . .
  6. joshbob

Say fellas, I just thought I'd add a few more notes about the jockey shift/suicide clutch conversion I did - just in case anyone might be as crazy as I am (or know somebody) who might want to try it. But first of all let me say that I would have preferred to go with a rocker clutch, but I would have had to change my forward controls. The FXST forward controls I have now are cast steel and are considerably stouter than the flat, stamped ones I would have had to go with.

Anyway, I only had to do four simple things for the conversion:
    FIRST, I bought an extended release arm from FabKevin, which is heavier duty than the mousetrap variety I could have used and allows the heim to be attached with a bolt.
    SECOND, I shortened the inner shift lever (painted black, see pic closeup) by about 1 1/2" for a bit more leverage, then reground it to a pleasing shape & redrilled a new hole at the tip to accept the shoulder bolt/bushing that holds the front heim on.
    THIRD, I drilled and tapped an extra hole in the front of the outer shift lever, then continued drilling into the shaft 1/4" or so (see pic closeup). The extra allen bolt insures that the lever will not spin around on the shaft. I ground the end of the allen bolt to the correct shape so it will fit snugly into the hole in the shaft when tightned up.
    FOURTH, I fabbed the rod out of 5/16" dia. mild steel, threaded each end about 1 5/8". After some fine tuning on the rod length, it was ready to go. 20131129_2 (640x480).jpg 20131208_1 (640x480).jpg
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

darn good job there , now what about the front brake?
  9. joshbob

Not at this time . . . maybe never. I've been trying to find an older Sporty drum brake already laced to a 19" chrome wheel in very good condition. I think that set up was found on some other 1200 Harley models as well just before disc brakes came on the scene.

I did find one rebuilt brake/wheel combo, but the asking price was well over $500; which was sold before I could come up with the scratch.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013