1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Intermittent charging problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bharris, Aug 25, 2006.

1. bharris

bharris New Member

I had the stator replaced about 3 months ago on my '03 Ultra Classic along with a brand new regulator & battery. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my volt meter was fluctuating between 10V and 14V while riding. It would do this about every 5-10 seconds, almost in a rhythym. At first, it would not do it on every ride, just once in awhile but now it seems to have gotten worse. I noticed, after watching it on the last several rides, it seems to start doing this at around 2100 RPM's. At less RPM's it reads a normal 14V but as soon as the tach hits 2100+ RPM's, it drops back to 10V, rises back to 14V continually about every 5-10 seconds. Does anyone have any clues what could cause this? I would think if the new stator was bad, it would just not charge at all. So far the battery has stayed charged but I'm afraid of going on any long trips with it doing this. Of important note: the bike was under extended warranty when the stator first went out but now, since this new problem, the warranty has ended :( . Also, I really don't trust this local dealer anymore because, when I had the stator replaced, I had them put a new front tire on....I rode about 70 miles about a week later when I noticed they didn't put one of the 2 nuts back on my front axle saddle and the other was barely screwed on....I could have been killed.....not good. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
  2. bharris

bharris New Member

WOW! Thanks for all the enormous replies and help, I am absolutely overwhelmed by the response! I don't know why I'm wasting my time replying, but I will in case someone else ever has this same problem.....then again, nevermind. I solved my problem, on my own I might add. Maybe I should have started an OIL THREAD since that's powered by opinion rather than tech knowledge.......
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your welcome, i guess.....i dont live on this board and post here when i can....glad you found your problem and and was thoughtful enough to tell us how you cured it........maybe your the first on this board to encounter this problem. i for one am glad for all the laughs ya gave us.....thanks again!!:rolleyes:
    i bet if you would have looked in the service manual.....the one that is still on the shelf at your dealer....it would have addressed the problem, step by step......or maybe that is what you did.........finally looked at the most important tool in the box.......???
    chuck
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Lol,, yup, well some folks need to double up on their medications, as to not be under-whelmed by their over-expectations. :rolleyes:
  5. bharris

bharris New Member

Okay, I guess frustration was overpowering my normally sane mind. My apologies, I deserve the lashing!

Anyway, it all came down to the battery. I had bought a new one right before the stator fix since the one in my bike was the original (3 years old). This problem started soon after the bike was fixed. I checked and re-checked everything I could imagine (I have a spare regulator also) and finally decided to swap batteries (I kept the old one). I checked the new one and it showed 12.7V, not very good. The old one, even out of the bike for 3 months showed 13.2V so I charged it up, put it back in and after riding several hours this weekend, no charging prob at all. I guess the battery may have a short inside that might occur from vibration or something. Weird........

I enjoy reading the oil threads.....about as much as reading the phone book and assembly instructions on the kids' Christmas toys...... :D
  6. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yes sir, new parts are not always good parts…
    Glad to hear you figured it all out.
  7. CD

CD Guest

Let's see here, You post your problem at 9:30 on Friday and you're upset because a tech didn't reply right away? hmm, you ever thought that I might have been on a biz trip or others may no be on the BBS? This BBS is not a paid forum, people give information, advice and help freely without expecting anything in return. You didn't exactly endear yourself to the members with that rant.

At any rate, glad you fixed your problem.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i too am also glad ya found the problem, and shared the info!!! :)
    have fun and be safe
    chuck
  9. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Go For The E.z Stuff First

I was having a problem when coming to a stop after getting to my destination. All of a sudden the bike would just shut off while i was backing into a parking spot. I thought about the last things I did to the bike and when i was putting on my badland kit they told me to take my ground strap off. 1/2 of it anyway. so i did. and thats when the problems starting happening. so i took that half off agin and got a better ground. All fixed now.
    hope this helped. gumby321 peace