1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Intermittently Dead

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Ashley, Mar 4, 2013.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The point can't talk if its mute, Mike. Isn't it moot? :roflmao: I use a nail to check the plug wires - no fingers or tongues! LOL
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao: My father just got me to hold the wire:gah:,but I only fell for that once, that's what I got for being a trusting 10yr old:rolleyes: 42yrs I've been waiting for payback:roflmao:

:roflmao::roflmao:
  3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Right. Have cleaned the Idle Air Control. Checked for a few loose wires found nothing. Bike started fine, ran fine. Found a nice road and opened the throttle. Was a lot of fun.

Of course this does not mean it will definitely run fine tomorrow. I can carry spare plugs and check for a spark (keeping fingers and tongue well out of the way) should the problem happen again. If there is a spark I can start to look elsewhere. But for now I am not going to worry.

And obviously, thanks for all the tips. I'll keep you posted if there are further developments.

Ashley
  4. Sir Rat

Sir Rat Active Member

Well I never said the point could talk so therefore it is by default of no one a mute moot point....or should that be a moot mute point...I don't know....I iz so confuzed

Aloha....Mike
  5. joshbob

:roflmao:. It looks like Ashley got his problem fixed. I like it when a guy gets all our advice, sorts thru it, and gets back on the road. So:cool:. Lucifer was right - it was the IAC pindle, whatever that is LOL. Would its function be similar to the choke or the idle air mix screw on a carbed bike? I iz so confused . . .
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. Lucifer

It is more like the choke... here's how it's described on Harley-Performance.com

IAC - Idle Air Control - An electricvalve that's threaded, one turn of the valve is called a "step." It's controlled by output signals from the ECM to open and close as needed to allow enough air into the engine for starting and idle operation. (Throttle closed) The more steps, the greater the amount of air enters the engine through the IAC passages. It's that ugly looking black thing you can see just inside and over the top of the air cleaner.

If your crank breather is still routed to the intake,you should clean it out periodically,like every other oil change, or better yet,IMO route the breather to the atmosphere to keep the oil mist out of the intake
  7. joshbob

Learn somethin' new just about every day here. I never thought routing oil mist thru the intake was a good idea, anyway. Kinda thinkin' the EPA is behind all that mess. EPA = Enviornmental Pantywaist Assrags.
  8. Lucifer

No, me either...I've always said that if William Harley or Arthur Davidson wanted oil to go into the combustion chamber,they'd have made them 2 strokes:rolleyes:
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Just changed the air cleaner on my 2012 SE Ultra. The bottom of it was dripping oil :gah:. Been thinking of changing mine to vent elsewhere.
    Replaced the stock air filter with the K&N.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I think the fix is the drilling out to a larger (1/8") the drain holes under the umbrella valves in the rocket assembly. Get the oil draining backdown to the crankcase faster and away from the breather port to the carb.
  11. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I found that leaving
    the oil level about a 1/2 pint low solves the dripping from air cleaner problem.
  12. FLHTbiker

I ride the bike until its hot then change the oil. I then put in 3.5 quarts, ride it then check the level. When I check the level it is just touching the bottom of the level where it says when hot. So don't think I'm overfilling it. Just think its a bad system putting the oil vapors back into the combustion chamber.:rolleyes:
  13. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Agreed, It's not designed well enough but, if you leave the oil level just a bit below the full line it will keep the pipes,and side covers free of oil.
  14. Lucifer

Those all help,but it doesn't matter what you do if the breathers go to the intake,there's going to be oil mist going in too...you can cut the amount down,but not cut it out, unless the breathers are re-routed...
  15. FLHTbiker

I don't get oil on the pipes and side cover, just my air cleaner on the bottom was full of oil. That's why I changed to the K&N filter so it can be cleaned and then reused. Had to do the same to the wife's bike to. With the air cleaner so dirty bet my fuel mileage will get better :)