1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Iron butt ride

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by AFNurse, Feb 21, 2007.

?

Have you done an Iron Butt Ride, and if yes, will you do it again?!

1. Never done it

44 vote(s)
    72.1%
  2. Done it once, NEVER again

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Done it, Will do it again, but has to be for a DARN GOOD REASON or Destination

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Have done it more times then most care to think about and will do it again at the drop of a hat.

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

oh yea It only took an hour in the hot tub and 2 burbons and frozen waters---talls of course
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

dam, you warm up pretty quick.....would have taken at least a 1/2 bottle of jack for me.....plus the hot tob time. ya ever do some drinking while in a hot tub???? hits ya pretty good.....and ya never see it comming!!!!!:drunk:
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

It was enough to get me to easter dinner chuck, thats the only reson I pushed it that far. OH if you think a hot tub will get the juice flowing I gave my bro in-law a couple of beers:drunk: and put him on an excercise bike for a min or so, He stummbled around like he had a 12ver. I laughed my a$$ off:roflmao:
  4. troby53

troby53 New Member

May do Sturgis this year as I'm closer than most....just depends on if the doc turns me loose..
  5. mark novak

mark novak New Member

A must is a mustang seat and progressive shocks. 34,000 mls on a 04XLR!
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Shoot 1/2 a bottle of jack and a hot tub, I'd probably drown. :eek: :D
  7. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Iron Butt

If this is like duck hunting! Where I made a new rule where a double is when you shoot twice at the same duck to get him...:) :D :)
  8. fujimo

fujimo New Member

iron butt

i rode from sturgis home one time,,,about 1200 plus,,,was easy ,,,just great weather and left at 300 am,,,nother time from glaciar park home,,,900,,,niether time figured to go all the way,,, but good going so when it got below 400 miles just stayed with it,,, but than i am retired and most of my riding is cross country,,,so normal day is between 500 and 600,,, her to reno 750,,, made lots of times,, on may 8 last year ,,,from winnemucca to portland one time when wife hit hosp,,,never checked how far,,,pops
  9. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

380-400? Was enough on one day with Blue Belle (1200C), those things are definitely built for one....
  10. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have never rode 1,000 miles in a day. Most I have done is about 700 miles in a day to get out to Sturgis. One thing I picked up is a sheepskin cover for my seat. On hot days it seems to help keep my butt drier.
  11. chucktx

yes they do!!!!!!!!!! and a bit warmer in the winter........:)
  12. FLHTbiker

Wife and I have had a sheepskin cover that we have used off and on for years. They do help on the long hauls. Don't use it in the rain.
  13. fujimo

fujimo New Member

ride

storm tells me ,,we are leaving roseburg 3 am last weekend in may,,,or first in june,,,weather,,,go to medford ,,lakeview ,,,bend ,,,ontario,,,pendelton ...portland ,,,to roseburg,,,1249 miles,,,two women from their hog chapter rode it last year ,,,16 hrs,,, three men went down 5 ,,,and back ,,,same miles same day ,,,took them 18 hrs,,,, traffic ,,,, they HOPE to beat womens time,,,says he is tired of every meeting gettting told what a wus the men are,,,, i really do not want to go,,,but,,,if i asked him for anything he would be here in a minute ,,,sssssoooooo,,,pops,,,come on along
  14. FLHTbiker

Interesting fujimo, bunch of us are heading to Medford the last weekend in May for the HOGs, North Meets South.
  15. chucktx

pop's, you will have a blast!!!!!!!! even if ya dont beat the womens time you will have fun......and some great rode stories to boot!!!!!
  16. FLHTbiker

Fujimo, I know everyone of those roads and that's gonna be some hard riding. The trick is to hit the Portland area not during the rush hour time. Sounds like it would be fun, hope you break their record, good luck.
  17. jp13

jp13 New Member

I haven't tried it but willing someday. I know a coulle of guys went from upstate ny to Alabama. They had some sore butts they said when they arrived.
  18. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

well I have to say that I am usure what classifies as a iron butt ride but last summer my brother and I made a trip from Erie pa to clarksburg wv to visit a longtime friend and even though that ride wasnt 1000 miles I could still feel it in the butt and I really dont enjoy the ride if I'm in pain too much anyway. it was our first real long distance ride but I did enjoy it and I like most others here do enjoy the scenery and the ride itself so I really dont try to push things just to push them. I'd rather get there in one piece than not at all, so maybe this makes me a little soft but I really dont care about that cuz its better to enjoy it and live to tell the stories of the journey.

I hope that all the advice here does help in your decision, hopefully when you make the trip you have a great time and be safe and not worry about how fast you can get there.
  19. FLHTbiker

My longest ride to date was from around Salt Lake back to home in Oregon City. I think it was around 900 miles and did it on my 03 Ultra. Bike had a Mustang seat on it. The ride back started in the morning when Bob (sleepy) and I parted and he headed North. After arriving home I was not really fatigued and truly felt I could have rode on.

Bob and I with another guy (Milt) on his Goldwing me on a Yamaha Royal Starr at the time and Bob on his souped up Dyna left Laughlin Nev or actually Bull Head city park in Arizona during our trip to Laughlin. We headed for Vegas and were going to head through Vegas and head for Reno. The weather at that time of year was still not the best and looking at the Mountains and obtaining info about the passes we decided to go back and head back into Calif. We left very early that morning and at 11 PM Milt got so tired he started riding strangely and we decided to shut them down. I still don't know how many miles we rode but that was one long day. I still remember pounding on the door the next morning trying to wake up Milt so we could head out. Lots of good memories and a good ride. That in my opinion was a iron butt ride that day especially with the high winds we hit.
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I remember both rides. We went from Springerville to Salt Lake and you ripped it for home and I went on a bit of a T shirt tour and cut my ride off early in Shelby MT. Just ran out of light and it was a bit cool. The ride from Bullhead to Modesto via Las Vegas was a classic. The power went out in the restaurant in Las Vegas when we ordered breakfast..luckily the grill was hot enough to fry the eggs. One thing I noticed about where we were in Modesto was that every place had security guards..even Denny's. Lots of different coloured bandanas were worn by different groups of people. After chow we went to a store to pick up a six pack of beer and holy cow, the beer cooler was better protected than most banks up this way. When we were walking back to the motel and Marc said "If they want the beer, give it to them" it started to clue in that I wasn't in Kansas..nor Calgary. Milt was usually the first one out of bed, he was pretty bagged after that ride..that was a great trip.