1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Is it a Stator or Alternator??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Is there any difference in these two? If so, what are they? What are the pro's and cons of each??? Is the stator and or alternator better than a generator? Why or why not???

Lets learn something. :D
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

3. Lucifer

4. JohnnyBiker

Awesome!!! Great post. So all the HD's are running a stator system from the 90's on correct???
  5. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

All big twins from 1970 on up use the alternator, Not sure about Sportsters.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That's why the bottom end looks different on a pre-1970. Part of the cover on the older bikes is where the generator is. Hard to explain.

Anyway, what people call a Pan/Shovel - '66 through '69 - isn't that at all, It's the Shovelhead top end with a generator.
  7. Lucifer

Something like this one....I think Chuck could fill ya in on the differences between alternator and generator power....I'm not old enough to remember generator power;):roflmao:

Attached Files:

8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That's a flat-out Panhead. The generator sits up front, under the front exhaust flange - or whatever it's called. It's a big cylindrical thing.

In a generator, the armature (the part with the wires) spins around inside the magnets. The alternator is the opposite. The stator is the wire part and it's still while the magnets spin around inside. The stator and the regulator are parts of the alternator system.

I don't know why one is better that the other, but since everything is made with alternators now, I assume that the alternator is better than the generator.
  9. whacker

whacker Active Member

On my 75 Sportty I switched from a generator to a alternator,The alternator put out more amps...17 verses 10 from the generator.
  10. Lucifer

That's not just a flat out Pan....it's Chucks...just put the pic up to show a generator bottom, the next year had the same bottom and a shovel top.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Motorcycles use either an alternator or a generator. Newer motorcycles tend to use alternators, while older motorcycles typically use generators.

Alternators and generators both produce current to power a motorcycle and charge the battery, but with one main difference. Alternators produce alternating current, also known as AC, which then must be turned into direct current, or DC. The current is changed from AC to DC by a device called a rectifier pack. Generators, however, produce direct current, which can then be immediately used by a motorcycle without the need for a rectifier pack.
    Both alternators and generators produce electricity in the same fashion. Both devices are constructed of a magnet that is in the middle of a set of coiled wires. The magnet is then turned within the coil of wires. The magnetic field that results from the turning of the magnet creates an electric current in the wires. That electric current provides the electricity needed to power a motorcycle and charge the battery.
    In order for the alternator or generator to produce power, the magnet must rotate within the coiled wire. On most motorcycles, this is accomplished by locating the alternator or generator within the engine casing itself. This allows the alternator to be rotated by a shaft within the engine.
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

OK Lucifer. I didn't understand that you were using Chuck's bike as an example of a generator. I thought when you quoted my text talking about the Pan/Shovel that you were using that as an example. Yes, that's Chuck's Panhead.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehe.......
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Also as a side note a generator hangs out in front of the engine and gets to pick up all the water and road crap it wants - which kinda shortens the life of the generator compared to a alternator which is enclosed in the bottom of the engine. The regulators were also good at shorting out when ya least expected it which led to some interesting road trips or should I say side trips lookin for parts in the middle of nowhere. Ahh progrees is great ain't it?:D
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thing is, most of the parts ya needed could be had at the local auto parts store......
  16. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

An alternator makes more electricty at lower rpm's than a generator.
    Most bike permanent magnet alternators the rotor spins out side of the stator.
    A permanent magnet alternator has permanent magnets in the rotor.
    Harley's use the PM alternator
    Some bikes use a feild excited alternator. This has the rotor create a magnetic feild by sending current through wire windings in the rotor. They use contact brushes.
    They have been pretty much not used since the mid 80's.
    If you work much on older metric bikes you may run across the feild excited alternators.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I guess from reading what Lucifer first posted, the benefit of an alternator over the generator is that the generator may not be able to keep up with the demand for electricity. The most common time that this may happen is when at idle. According to the reading, this is why one must rev or increase the rpm to help ensure that the generator can charge the battery. An alternator cand continue to charge the battery while at idle. I got all of that.

Ok, I was looking at stators (alternators) on J&P last night. I was really tired and was not able to see what the standard amps are for a stator system on a motorcycle. Is there a standard amperage? If so what is it? Can you increase the stator amperage to produce what your particular needs may be? If so, I would assume you would have to change your regulator???
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Most HD alt. put out 60 amps except the police bikes which due to their heavy draw on acc. need a larger ALT. 80 amps I think. For the average biker the 60 amp will handle all your needs except for cardboard's bike - with all the bluetooth and radio gear he's gettin he will probably need about 1000 amp alt.:roflmao::roflmao:
  19. JohnnyBiker

That is funny!! And CB's bike is not working to boot!!! I wonder why that is?
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: A 120 AMP alternator for CB would be better. :D