1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

It Has Begun

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 14, 2016.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

remember unless you post pictures it didn't happen
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I can't post pictures. Forgot my password to my Tapatalk account. Look on Facebook, its there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  3. JohnnyBiker

Still haven't shipped my heads down to Florida. I am sending some other product down to Florida at the same time so I have to wait until that product arrives before I can do so. Not a lot happening with the engine at the moment other than I was asked what crank will be going into the engine. The answer to this question is simply, " I am not sure." the reason I am not sure is because I will have the person whoever preps the case and the wheels decide on what should go in. For who I am having do the work, there is no reason for me not to trust their opinion so I will take their recommendation. There are a lot of options available to me, 1 out of three places that I can go that I know of. The cost isn't the deciding factor. I hope all are doing well?!
  4. djl

djl Active Member

J/B, I don't visit this forum much; not a lot of activity in the Engine section. I was bored today and dropped in to note your 124 plan. Interested in details and progress as I have been contemplating replacing my all bore 107" in the '02 FL with a 124" built on my existing OEM cases. Only thing holding me back is that the all bore motor runs so good, I hate to mess with it but the lure of a 124" motor is quite appealing.

Only two guys I would work with to build a 124" on my cases; Mike Lozano who would assist with the set up the lower unit and do the head work. I would do the work under Mike's watchful eye but Mike is out of the country. The only other guy just happens to have his shop in Florida. I would send him the cases and crank and he would set up the lower unit and probably do the head work; I would finish the job at home. I will drop in from time to time to check on progress. Good luck with the project.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Hi Djl, it has been a while. Other than this being a 124, there isn't anything overly special about it. I am using a set of SE CVO 110 heads with stock valve sizes, a 51mm SE CV Carb that will be converted to cc compatible. The sticks will be Reaper 594's. The cases, after a lot of agony will be S&S. The one part that I haven't decided on yet is who's wheels I will use. I have it narrowed down to three choices but am still unable to make up my mind. This 124 is based off of 4.125 bore and 4.675 stroke. I chose this rout because a lot of reading suggested that if I were to go with a 4.250 bore there is a greater chance to break the cylinder studs and less room available for the base gasket to seal properly. The only thing that will be a "used" part in this engine will be the heads and that is just the casting. The intake will be port matched along with some texturing on the inside. I am a gear drive guy so I will be putting all new gears in also utilizing the S&S TC3 plate and pump. I also have been in a lot of agony with deciding on if I should use a standard sleeved jug or go with a sleeveless such as nikilsil. I am leaning towards nikilsil. Compression will be in the ball park of about 10.3 corrected with about 215-220 CCP at 1100 elevation. To ensure I save starters I will be adding ACR'S.

NO idea who that Mike is, let me how that goes. Yes, the heads are going to Florida but not to who you are thinking of. To set the case up, line honing and all, that will be done on the east coast.

6. JohnnyBiker

Djl, if you could pm me your email address again. I have switched phones a couple of times and for some reason I no longer have it. Also, do you have a place for me to look for those JIMS Support plates that I bought from you? I looked on JIMS website but was unable to find them. Thanks.

7. djl

djl Active Member

I wouldn't expect you to know Mike but he is well known and respected in the racing community; came up in the TMan and Bobby Woods era. He had stopped racing a few years back when I first met him. When he was racing he held a couple of records in NHRA Pro Stock. The Lozano Brother made their name in building high end motor for LeMans and Formula 1 racers back in the day. Texas folks, good guys

http://lozanobrothersporting.com/

I am with ya on all counts on the 124 but when I do get around to mine, which will also be carbed, I will use my MTC cylinders and an OEM crank that has been worked by Hoban Brothers. I would not run that high a CCP on a carbed motor; injected maybe, nor would I run Nikasil cylinders but each to his own. I will run a TMan cam, probably the 660SM as I run the 600SM in the all bore 107 and it is making 124TQ; I like the cam. Mine will be a "lazier" configuration with lower compression.

The support plates you bought were SE forged units, PN17675-01B; not Jim's. I don't know if Jim's has ever made forged support plates.

Email address is longtaind@att.net. Keep me posted on your project; keen to know how it all comes together. Good luck.

Attached Files:

8. JohnnyBiker

Well, in typical JohnnyBiker fashion, I have become my own worst enemy. From the beginning of this project I was never happy with the options given to me for bore size. So I settled. I was internet browsing last night and ran across Delkron's website. I have had plenty of people suggest Delkron but I just never paid any attention to that suggestion. So last night as I was browsing I noticed that they offer a case in 4.250 bore. The bad news, it isn't for a Twin Cam. In fact, they don't even make a Twin Cam case. So this led me back to S&S. Looking through the catalog, I think I may need to special order a case, one that's in 4.250" bore.

9. djl

djl Active Member

What is it about the 4.125"x4.625" configuration that you don't like? I am sure you have your reasons but curious what they are since that configuration is the most popular for a 124" motor.

4.250" bore on OEM cases is not a path I would go down; read about too many problems. Custom cases would require some serious thought about what impact that might have on piston/cylinder requirements and replacement parts down the road, etc. if any but not likely to pull me away from conventional wisdom of the 4.125"x 4.625" configuration.

I would bet that if you put pencil to paper you would find that the cost to build your motor vice the cost of an S&S124 is not too different. Consider the fact that the S&S motor requires a lot less labor and does come with a warranty; worth a good hard look IMHO.

Most that I know that have built their 124" motors will tell you (hindsight is 20/20) that they should have gone the S&S route. Just food for thought. The only reason I am considering building mine is that I already have the 4.125" cylinders and TMan 600SM cams (different cams maybe later). Cases already machined for the larger bore cylinders and Timken crank bearing. I just need heads, pistons, a "Hobanized" OEM crank and more carburetor. If I was starting from scratch, I would definitely be going the S&S route. JMHO, keep me in the loop as I am interested in what you do and the results. Good luck with whatever path you choose.
  10. hotroadking

Good to see someone besides me making that point, yes I have built a 117 and 124 using stock HD cases, mainly because SNS doesn't make B motor cases so I had no choice in the mater. The cases end up being milled very thin between the cylinders, so thin that the center case bolt is done at the same time and it has to go back in perfectly so that the cylinders can fit.

HD cases did fine however they are not as strong as SNS.

With the SNS engine you get a warranty, it's assembled and
    you drop it in the frame ready to go, a little tuning and you are
    done.

I know we'll get that hard headed Scandinavian midwest "I am gonna do it my way" response LOL But those of us that have been there know better...

If you are building a race bike then a custom engine build is one thing, but for a
    daily driver, well, crate is the way to go, You don't see anyone spending the time and money building custom bikes or car engines anymore, when you can order a 500 HP crate GM small block
    that has a warranty....
  11. JohnnyBiker

It's not that I dislike the 4.125 bore, it's more that I am looking for a 4.250 bore and a 4.675 stroke. However I won't do that combination if the cost of special order cases is too great. But it is something that I am considering.

As far as buying a crate engine. Someone earlier in this thread made that suggestion. In fact, I have had that suggestion thrown out to me numerous times and my answer hasn't really wavered. The reason I don't want a "crate engine" is because I enjoy the learning process and the hands on experience of riding what I have built, which I suspect you can relate to? I am building this engine for how my style of riding dictates. I am in no way saying that a "crate" engine can't deliver that, only that that is just boring.

As far as the case goes, at the conception of this project, I was considering all options from using my OE cases, SE cases and of course S&S cases. After brow beating all of these options I decided on the S&S cases until I looked at Delkron but Delkron is not an option. So it's an S&S. Special ordering a case is only something I will investigate, the price better be good in order for me to pull the trigger on that.

12. JohnnyBiker

13. djl

djl Active Member

So, what you really want is not a 124" but a 131" motor? Did you mean 4.675" or 4.625"? 4.675" puts the wheels into the custom category as well.

I understand the "boring" comment and I can relate to the "riding what I have built" comment. However, there is a downside to building any motor and I have also experienced that as well and it is also a learning process. Building a big inch motor is very different from building a "conventional" 95", 103", etc. If/when stuff breaks, stuff breaks in a big way and it usually takes deep pockets to make it right; that is another part of the experience which can be costly and always discouraging The opportunity for stuff to break increases exponentially with a big inch motor. Once you cross the "custom" line, that also adds a degree of complexity to the stew as well. As long as you are prepared for those possibilities, I get where you are coming from but re-inventing the wheel can get expensive.o_O

Good luck and keep posting.;)
  14. JohnnyBiker

Yes I meant 4.675. And yes, a 131 is the way I want to go IF, the custom cases are financially feasible.

If you wants to play, you Gots to pay. :cool:

15. JohnnyBiker

Heads are being worked on as we speak. First indication. The heads from previous engine, not so good.

Red Rider likes this.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Ok, the work done on my heads are done. I have to say that I am not surprised that they turned like they did! The intake was just finished up so the whole package is about to be shipped back to me.

I need to thank BaggerPaul for an OUTSTANDING JOB! THANK YOU BROTHER!

17. hotroadking

Good stuff so is it going to be a 124 still? You know and has a 143

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. JohnnyBiker

Yes I decided to stay with a 124. I'll send you some pictures of the awesome work BP did.

19. hotroadking

good for you, pictures looked good.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Now it's time for the case and crank. That's going to be a little bit expensive.

Red Rider likes this.