1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Japan

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 17, 2011.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very cool racing............they use the single cylinder, 500cc bikes that they use in arena racing, cept. they do it on ice........wheels stands and everything........but no brakes!!! and studded tires!!
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I agree about not wanting to send any help, I think big countries such as Japan can hold their own.

On the other hand I am sympathetic to the people over there, including some acquaintances I know over there and a few Japanese bikers here who still have family over there. Nobody deserves to get sh!t on as much as all those who lived through a Super Quake, then a tsunami, and now the possibility of being radiated. Personally I think the International Atomic Energy Agency should have stepped in early rather than allowing a private company to continue trying to fix their own failing facilities. The agency is suppose to prevent future Chernobyls.

It's just a bad situation for everyone.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It is a bad situation over there, but i find it refreshing to point that there is some sort of corporate responsibility that they want to at least try to correct their own problem. I wish that there were some companies here in the states that would try this, especially that one that caused a lot of crap in the Gulf. Who was that?? BP???
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Problem with this particular corp. company is they have been caught in previous lies and cover up. I wouldn't trust them.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure they didn't expect a mega quake and tsunami wave that big all at one
    time.

Don't mind helping out, that's what we do, it's a drop in the bucket in the budget

If you really want to get washington fixed you have to fix SSI, Medicare and the military
    budgets, thats the money part the rest is small potatoes.

Rather get it contained, cleaned and back to as normal as possible to shut up
    the anti nuke people...
  6. FLHTbiker

I'm glad Oregon has no Nuke plants, we use mostly water power, there is a coal fired plant up the Columbia River Gorge but its shutting down. All the damns have fish ladders or tunnels for them to get around and up river.

I just heard that the one in Japan is 40 years old, had cracks that they tried to cover up and the plant was out dated.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Many Nuke plants are old,
    greenies forced the governments
    to slow or stop production

I'd take a nuke plant any day,
    no foreign oil, no coal, no gas,
    clean power, and safe.

Without the wave nothing would have happened at this plant.

Solar and wind can't keep up with demand and really who wants
    a mountain top covered with big old ugly windmills...
  8. FLHTbiker

That is great for you guys that live in flat country but a big advantage for us is what do we do with all that excess water we have roaring down the rivers and heading back to the ocean, make electricity with it.
    We have those wind mills to, Columbia Gorge is a very windy place but they simply don't produce enough electricity to make them a big huge factor. We have had so much extra power over the years they have been selling it to Calif.
  9. JohnnyBiker

I don't really have issues with us helping out (as individuals) if we choose, but to use federal money, our money, every time that there is a crisis, that bothers me a little more. As FLHT said, where was the help when Katrina hit or the big spill??

I do agree that it was impossible for these guys to know that they were going to get slammed twice, but when does it start to be their problem and not ours???
  10. JohnnyBiker

I don't have issues with alternative nuclear energy either. As you said, without the wave, we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, in order for us not to depend on foreign oil, we need to embrace those "ugly windmills." Those windmills produce a lot of energy, the major drawbacks to them at this point is storing the excess energy that they produce, and that the sites that are optimal for wind energy is a little more tricky. JMO
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

ASk JB about ice racing - they do anything up there to take their minds off the looooong winters and short ridin time. :roflmao::roflmao:
  12. FLHTbiker

JB, those windmills are huge and ugly, they ruin the landscape. :(
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

yep, been on one. The brake is the eject button. If you ain't slidin' you ain't ridin'.....:)