1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jetting CV carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by raa883, Dec 27, 2008.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

ordered one of the ezadjust myself, tired of futzing with the screwdriver on my cv51 hope it clears the extended fuel bowl as it's a woods 505 Rebel.

If not it's still better than trying to get a screwdriver in that little friggin hole,

try it with an extended float bowl on a hot 124 ouch!:banghead:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good starting point. 1/2 turn or more in or out from 2 1/2 turns on the mixture screw to dial in the pilot would mean go bigger or smaller on the slow jet, but I don't think you'll need bigger than a 45.:devil:
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The idle mixture adjustment would be the place to start & as mentioned, from what I've seen, the stock needle on '04-'06 models works fine. I haven't played with the "Bonehead" ('04-up) models, but I do know the heads & cams, neither of which have made tuning a CV any different from before & I know several folks who have the newer models & have already experimented. Two ended up shimming the stock needle with a brass washer, one went to a 44 slow jet, but only because there's not a 43 available & the majority have found leaving the slow alone is best - as it has been for years & years. Might want to get a 175 & a 185 main to play with - the combination of XB heads & W cams is the reason for the 180 from the factory & you might end up going right back to it. But jets are cheap & since the exhaust crossover was moved, even easier to change. Great to go the dyno if there's one available & you've got the $$$ to spend, but a couple jets, a screwdriver & a little trial & error will get you pretty darn close to ideal.
  4. kiltedcylon

kiltedcylon New Member

Thanks for the great advice!!!! I've asked this question on a couple of forums and this is the first answer that is complete, well thought out and obviously written by someone who is an expert!!

This is a great place to be!
  5. highhillbill

highhillbill New Member

rejett

thanks for the info Art .. good Advice
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

this is a fun site...........but there are also folks on this site that know what they are talking about!!!!! best place i know on the web for honest, no bs answers!!!!!!! have fun and stay safe!!!!!:)
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Those reading this message thread should be aware that the NC65C needle is not the holy grail or fix all for all models. That needle was originally designed for the 1988 Sportster with the first CV carburetor that lacked an accelerator pump. The needle was richer to overcome an off-idle hesitation which was corrected the following year by adding the accelerator pump.

Needless to say the NC65C has been used for years by those wanting to lean hesitation, but due to different flow characteristics of each model it can not fix every carb out there. I've tested over 100 different needle versions created for CV carburetors from around the world (not just the Harley carb) and have found others that work better based on model. The NC65C will get you by in many cases but be aware that you will likely be running fairly rich or even lose mileage in some instances.

I have been testing another needle for a couple years specifically for the 04-06 XL. This XL model hasn't responded as well to some of the other needles out there and I found the intermediate using the old 88 needle to have problems.

It all comes down to using the right parts for each situation.
  8. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I certainly agree & have preached "system" over individual parts. I like the N65C since you can get one cheap & most H-D dealerships carry them in stock, but it may not be the right needle for your particular application. It works great in '91-'03 Sportsters, but is it right for a Big Twin of a certain model? That I can't say. But for $8 you can find out & if making the needle change makes a noticeable difference in how the engine runs, then you know the needle was the problem.

With respect to the '04-up XL models, there were some major changes made & that's why what worked on earlier Evo models won't necessarily work on the "Boneheads", but the stock needle seems to work well. As previously mentioned, I don't know when H-D started putting the W grind cams in all XL models - they did in 1200's as of '04, but not sure when the 883's started coming with them too.

The W cams are different from the D grind cams which came in all Sportsters '91-'03 (except the '98-'03 1200S models) & while the lobe pattern isn't radically different, it certainly does change the tuning. And there's a big difference in 883 & 1200 heads, although you can't see it from the outside.