1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

jetting & unknown pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by harley_z, Jul 21, 2004.

1. harley_z

harley_z New Member

Wondering if anyone has any advice on this. Just bought a '91 sporty. Have put on about 1000 miles. The bike now has just over 5000 miles on it. No major problems, doesn't run extremely hot (oil is usually around 175-200 when sitting in traffic). When it is warming up it runs extremely jumpy for the first couple of miles. after that it's fine. I get some backfires when decelerating occasionally. The guy I bought this from had it for the past 9 years and never rode it. He didn't know what kind of aftermarket pipes were put on. The heads are now extremely blue. Any ideas for what settings to start at?
    Would it be easier to get a new exhaust system and a jet kit to match?
    Right now I'm looking at Samson big guns or Hard Kromes staggered. Any thoughts on either of these?

Thanks.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Probably rich, with the pipes blue, gold is lean (hot)

Best way is with a dyno tune with the AFR probe to sniff the gas mix.

Either of those pipes or a simple set of slip ons with chrome covers for the headers would work. Khrome Werks, Cycle Shack,

The V&H staggered shots look good on a sporty and sound good.