1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jockey Shift, Suicide Clutch . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Dec 23, 2010.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Considering a jockey shift, suicide clutch on my bobber. At this point I can go either way. Guys that have 'em swear by 'em. There is a learning curve but shouldn't be a problem around here. Besides, I can turn a set of cool wooden choke & shift knobs on the lathe. Am I nuts or just finally going through a mid-life crisis?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

mid-life change, not sure it's a crisis.
    only a crisis if the "OL" gets upset.
  3. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Not sure what to say regarding "nuts vs. mid life crisis". Probably neither one. Perhaps looking for a wood lathe project? You're right - that would(no pun intended) be a good project. Find some nicely grained wood and a fine finish with some sort of weather proof sealer. They'd look real good. Having been a machinist - Tool & Die designer before Unscle Sam got hold of me, I still enjoy metal work projects. BTW, what Hobgood close to? I live in NE TN right in the middle of Bristol, Kingsport & Johnson City (Tri-Cities).
    Danny
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

they are cool......i have had em in the past!! the biggest thing is to be sure the front brake is in good working order. when stopped, you will have one foot on the ground, the other on the clutch. if the hill is steep enough ya got to feather the clutch to keep ya from rollling backwards..........not a fun thing.....so a front brake is really handy!!!!! post up some pics and if ya got any questions......just ask!!
  5. joshbob

dmassey, I have fabricated a few parts for my bike (top motor mount, internal fork stop, kickstand rubber, extended bracket on the oil tank, ignition switch bracket, etc.). I hacked up 2 fenders before I got it mostly right! And I depend on a welder buddy to do all my welding. Yeah, wood is my thing. Hobgood is in NE North Carolina, about 30 miles east of Rocky Mount. "Nuts" because I have no front brake . . .
  6. joshbob

Problem is, there's no front brake! I shaved the lower legs last summer, not giving much thought about how I was gonna shift. (In N.C. it's legal to have only one brake). I've seen some bikes with jockey shift and no front brake and wondered how they managed it on a hill. Probably in neutral and very carefully, I'm sure!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

You're not too far from me. I went to Mapquest and found you.

Sounds like you've done some good machine work!
  8. joshbob

I have limited tools and resources but have done what I could. I've gotten pretty handy with an angle grinder! The interesting thing about building a scoot from scratch is that one becomes very familiar with everything on it. B.C. (Before Carter), I used to ride and leave all the wrenching to somebody else. Now, because of the internet and my new friends on Bike Talk, I have access to all the info, tips and inspiration I need to help me finish what I started.
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Josh bob - Jockey shift and suicide clutch brings back old memories for sure - the first bike I owned was 61ci. with that outfit - first time I rode it was the day I picked it up and proceeded to ripe thru a barb wire fence after flying across the driveway and the road. nothing hurt but the pride but I sure have fond memories of that old harley - the guy had painted it completly silver - tanks -seat tires handle bars and fenders. Was sure a ugly lookin thing and half the parts were put on with baling wire.:)
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep the best part of a jockey shift is the front brake ,had one with out the F brake rode it about a week then took the spool wheel off & put the front drum wheel back on what a ride but was fun :D
  11. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Wonder what the word Suside clutch stands fer.......:rolleyes:
    The girls will go suside fer ya...................

And no front dual disc brake...........

Ice Cream....................:eek:
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The question you have to ask yourself is "Will having a Jockey Shift, Suicide Clutch make me want to ride more?"

If the answer is yes, do it. If the answer is no, don't do it.

For me, the answer would be no. The reason those old style configurations are gone is they aren't as fun to ride once the novelty wears off.

:cheers:
  13. joshbob

They didn't give a hoot what kind of clutch it was . . . it was the VIBRATIONS that got 'em!!
  14. chucktx

15. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

joshbob, if you can get the new copy of Hot Bike Magazine page 66 "Born to Rebuild". There's a '41 that a guy did a rebuild and it appears he put a wooden knob on the shifter. Check it out.:)
    Danny
  16. joshbob

Thanks, Danny. I'll look into that. BTW, Mac the Wife says I been having a mid-life crisis as long as she's known me, except that I'm just now realizing it! So that must mean I'll live to be 134!
  17. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Live to be 134? Reckon you'd better go ahead and do the bike work so as yo'llhave someting to fill out all your years............:D:D
  18. cardboard

When I was at the Indy Shop for a year. I rode some of the older bikes.
    Couple sporsters that beat me to death. And the handlebars shook my hands off.

Especially a Old FL Shovelhead a dude rode as a everyday bike to work and everywhere. he was trying to save gas too.
    Was doing something to it all the time.
    I liked test riding it. But with the vibrations and all, I like my new Twin Cam and foot shifter, makes life easier and a lot less vibrations .:D
  19. chucktx

man, please!!!!! your getting too soft in your old age!!!!!!!!!!:)
  20. cardboard

I wouldn't exactly call it soft Chucktx

I would call it CAndy Ass.

I like comfort.
    That's why I ride in a lincoln with big Ass seats......
    And floor boards,
    Like feeling the comfort of a Winnabeggo with a Couch.

I'll ride the same curves as anybody else and I will ride the back roads with you, and you ride the instertate with me.:rant:

I ain't just riding to the local bar..............