1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jockey Shift, Suicide Clutch . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Dec 23, 2010.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I hear that. Yeah, those ol' Ironheads will beat you to death, too. I didn't notice it much back then, though; I was in my twenties. Once rode from Pennsylvania to Cocoa Beach, Fla. in about 23 hours. Over a 1000 miles. Wasn't really in a hurry, but it was cold up north and I wanted to get south to the warmer weather. One day shiverin' in my boots, next day girl watchin' on the beach!
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I like this piece of advice the most. If I were building a bike from scratch, it is because I want a complete show bike, that is ridable, but mostly for show, so in that case, I would most likely go with suicide shift, but for everyday riding, there is something about forward controls and both hands on the handle bars that just screams "safety" to me.
  3. joshbob

And you are right. Heck of a thing for a man my age to say, but 'safe' isn't high on my list of priorities! Riding a bike will never be a safe thing to do, no matter how many gizmos or disc brakes we have. We are all a little crazy; that's why it's so much fun! I believe a man's philosopy & attitude about riding are more important than safety issues . . .
  4. JohnnyBiker

Being safe is being :cool: No need to increase the hazard of what riding already brings. JMO
  5. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I have always thought nothing looks better than a suicide shift and a big pants sucking open primary but I don't know if I would want it on a everyday basis. I must be getting old.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya don't think I want another one had one on my shovel for a few years ,only kept the hard tail for a few weeks , then back to the swing arm :D
  7. brokenrocker

brokenrocker New Member

Had a suicide clutch on a couple of bikes over the years. The stock rocker pedal setup worked great! The one I set up on a chopper that released as I lifted my foot off it was quite a bit harder to handle. Looked way more trick, though. As for no front brake, well, I'm an old biker that wants to get older. I don't have any bikes without a front brake. Sound scary to me!
  8. JohnnyBiker

I saw a really nice older FLH that was chopped and done very nicely that could have used a suicide shift on it. Certain bike need it. :cool:
  9. joshbob

Have thought about the rocker clutch, but I'd have to change out my forward controls. The ones I have now are older Harley FXST (I think) that came with the roller and I had to spend days grinding the backs of them (with a flat wheel on my Dremel) so they'd fit nice and flush to the mounts. Hate giving them up after so much labor invested. Same with the lower legs. I spent 4 days shaving them by hand. First I band sawed all the lugs off, then very carefully ground them to within about a 32" of the surface, then hand sanded with 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600 & 1500 grit sheets. There are still a few little dings that I couldn't remove, but nice enough for a gargage built bike. If I ever decide to have a front brake, I'll get an older wheel that will accommodate a drum setup & also change the rear wheel to accommodate a hydralic brake. Of course, that means I'll also have to get another set of lower legs. Right now that's a couple thousand I'd rather not spend . . .
  10. Ted

Ted New Member

On my 41/61The foot clutch was a rocker toe down to disengage heal down to engage. To make it a suicide clutch all you needed to do was back off the tention washer and tighten the clutch return spring. When you lifted your toe off the clutch it would engage. I love my hand clutch on my 2009 I no longer fall down on the left side at stop signs
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

And you don't have to worry about the derned thing vibrating from disengaged to engaged when yer at a stop light throwin ya out into oncoming traffic. :banghead:
  12. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

A friend of mine has a '48 Indian and has asked me to come up and try it out. I think it's something that I want to experience - at least once. And once may be enough. He says he has a hard time kickin' it and he weighs a few more pounds than me so it may send me across the handle bars :cool:. The last thing I had to kick was my 650 Yamaha 650 SE and somehow I think there'll be a slight difference between the 650 and the Indian.........
  13. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Definitely a cloud on your day.....:eek::eek:
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wait till ya find out the throttle is on the left and clutch/shift is on the right!!!! made that way for cops. indians were trying to get the police business and most motor cops were right handed......for shooting.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

they are cool on TV shows, pictures, in the movies and parked at the
    local "event"

other than that I wouldn't want one on a daily or weekend rider
  16. joshbob

Hmmm . . . almost makes me want to reconsider. Almost! But if I find I don't like the jockey shift, it won't be a big deal to change it over.
  17. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

If I was dyslexic, it would be no problem, huh. But as far as I can tell I'm not so I reckon a challenge awaits me......