1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just a couple more hours

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I made Colorado last night, right at sunset. Thought of Red Rider when the tumbleweed came barreling across the road right into my car. I'm up early (think I'm still on Eastern time) and am heading out. I should be to my place before noon. The mover called yesterday and is going to be out there on the 8th instead of the 10th. I'm very happy about that. I'm sure the substantial tip I gave him after he loaded my stuff, with the comment that I'd really like it ASAP, didn't hurt.

My bike is behind me somewhere. I called two days ago and was told it was just getting to Milwaukee and then would get on a truck for Colorado. I saw a Daily Direct truck yesterday, but I doubt that was the one my bike is on. I can't wait to get to the dealer and set up all the neat stuff I'm having done to it. :D I'm kinda nervous about taking off with that 95" motor and killing myself. Eh, I drove a few of the Screaming Eagles with the 103" motors. I'll be fine. I can't wait!
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good goin abby....thanks for the update.....keeping you in my thoughts for a safe journey!!
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I made it! I'm in my apartment now and already have Internet. :D I even ended up getting a tv after I found out that cable tv is included in the rent. Who'd a thunk?

It's just beautiful here. I did some driving around and I can't believe I actually live here. There's even a spot for motorcycle parking right in front of the apartment building. It isn't covered, but I have a good cover for my bike, so in the summertime I can keep it up here. My lease is through the end of April, so I might end up finding something else with better motorcycle parking in the long run.
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Congrats Abby, post some pics when you can....
  5. SK

SK New Member

Glad to hear you finally made it home, and that's what it is now..home. You're gonna need to find some sort of garage to park your bike. I can't imagine having it out in the elements even with a cover. A friend of mine up in Jackson, WY has a storage unit and keeps his bikes there during the Winter..just a thought.

I'll be in Carbondale (just up hwy 82 from Glenwood Springs) for Christmas, then most likely Denver for New Years. Hoping for plenty of fresh powder for skiing.

Exactly which town are you in? Near Vail..I believe.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm in Keystone, one of the Vail properties. I get a free season pass to all of Vail's mountains. :D

I'm not leaving my bike out there in the winter. I'm having a bunch of work done on it at Thunder Mtn, then I'll either keep it there or take it to a friend's house that's close by.

Let me know if you'll be around. I'm going to be having a lonely holiday I think.

BTW, how long does it take to get used to half the population speaking Spanish? :gah: I am really not comfortable with that.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya made it safe abby!!! i second the pics idea!!! actually i bet the population speaks more english than you think.....they just dont let on,,,,i usually just ignore em, and dont care what i say, if they understand ok....if not, ok........intercourse em!!!!!!!
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

get used to the spanish it's every where and for riding all year remember you don't feel the cold out here so dress in layers lots of them you can get frost bite and not know it till you get home. other than that enjoy might catch ya down at thunder mountain sometime.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good to here you made it , & do as Chuck said say what you want & intercourse them they will let you know if they understand or not :D
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad you made it Abbey, like others don't recommend you keep the bike outside even if it has a cover on it. Mexicans are everywhere out here and some are good and some are not. Unfortunately, there is a lot of crime that sometimes is associated with them so please just be careful.
  11. SK

SK New Member

Yeah..lot's of Spanish speaking folks everywhere now, especially in Colorado. The local grade school in Carbondale is about 80% spanish. Several teachers have left the school because they can't handle it anymore. One class only had one English speaking kid in it last year..sad. They do speak more english than they let up on though..they speak a lot of spanish so you don't know what they're saying.

Keystone eh? That's over near Silverthorne on US 6. You're not far from Loveland Pass, which is over 11,000'. Ridden that pass a few times to avoid the Eisenhower tunnel on I70. Free ski pass? I'm jealous. Those passes aren't cheap. I'll try to contact ya when I'm in the area.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hey Cowboy what's this intercourse them bull didn't you really mean to just say Fu(K em, :)

When we were in Sturgis this last Summer I noticed that there simply was not any Mexicans around and in all the restaurants and stores it was high school kids and real Americans mostly working. You could actually understand them and it was a real joy for a change. We asked about it in a Perkins and there answer was and that's the way we want t keep it here in the Dakota's. They have pretty much invaded most areas in the west and here in the Portland area its no different.
    Unfortunately the crime rate has really increased because of them. Every night on the news you here about another rape victim, shooting, stabbing or robbery and it seems that about 80% of it is involving the Latino bunch (Mexicans).

I have done a lot of inspections of apartments, duplexes and other multi units and have seen how most of them live and the conditions that they live in.
    The only thing I can tell you is wow don't eat in the fast food places. I've also seen white folks living in horrid conditions to and their no different.

I've meant some very nice Mexicans and some you would call a friend.

Very few of them ride a Harley around here, not sure about California or even Colorado. If your ever in an auto accident involving one make sure they don't run off before the cops get there. :angry:
    Most of them around here do not have auto insurance either even though it is required.

Am I prejudging them, well no just the truth and don't want to offend anyone but I just wished the illegals would all go back where they came from. :cussing:
    OK, OK enough of this ranting :rant: I need to go for a ride.
  13. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I hear ya FLHTbiker. It's not that different here in MA in regards to illegals. Mostly Brazilian here. However I don't care if they are Latino, Irish, Italian, or whatever if they're illegal then get out!
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

AMEN, if you want to come here, do it LEGALLY like our ancestors did!!!:rant: :cussing:
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Congrats, Abby. Enjoy the new scenery! Hope ya have a shovel, though, as more snow is coming soon.:cool: