1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just a little reminder

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I don't go for that heated stuff either,a set of soft lowers,lined coveralls a good pair of gloves and jacket and a wimpshield is good until the snow flies,but none of it's worth a darn if you're sliding down the highway because of black ice....
  2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Lucifer, you've got if tougher than I thought. It snows a lot here, but we just don't get really cold temps for very long. The thermometer will swing 60* in one day, and makes for unknown riding, but I NEVER store away the bike for winter--it's always ready to go.

I don't have to go to work, so I just wait for the mercury to climb up a bit before I go somewhere, and I do have all the nice electric liners to make life bearable in Jan-March.

Joshbob, I think 60* is the most perfect temp for everything outdoors. Although I will ride when in the teens too, if no snow on roads. I still think you shoulda got a nice thermal lined, thick-leather coat rom Fox Creek Leather. That alone would extend your riding season all winter down there in NC.
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

They also have it a lot rough than us up in Alberta. When it snow here it's mostly a dry powder...great if you like to ski....I do :) I lived in the Altlantic provinces for 18 years [split up between Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick...it's beautiful country but I sure don't miss getting Hurricane remnants and shovelling that heavy wet snow, i'd likely ride more in the dry times if they didn't salt the **** out of the roads now and than there is that black ice to contend with. In a back handed kind of way we get to work on the bike over the winter and not have to worry about losing riding time.
  4. Lucifer

Yep.... Winter = wrenchin'...as an added bonus,we have no problem keeping our beer cold:roflmao:
    Geeze Sleepy you only missed PEI...
  5. alex the dog

I thought Ontario had the worst winters in Canada. Where do you live Sleepy?
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

And why would you ever want to say that out loud for???:wtf::gah::banghead:
  7. Lucifer

:roflmao:Only if you ask someone from Ontario.;)
    Newfoundland and Labrador have the worst winters IMO,high bone chillin' winds off the North Atlantic and tons of snow...Manitoba would be in there too with brutal cold and gets real windy there too...

Here's a scene of a Canadian car chase :roflmao:

Canadian Car Chase - YouTube
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yesterday after I got off of work I took Whip to shop to get the AFR's monitored and it was a cold ride. It was 43* degrees out with no windshield either. I just had on my chaps, lined leather jacket, gloves a stocking hat. Now I wonder if it is going snow soon or not, if not, I will be riding next week again, cold, but riding. :D
  9. alex the dog

That big lake in Manitoba is the culprit, and I agree with the extreme cold winds there. But it all ends up in Minnesota the next day.

Does the cold weather in Newfoundland blow down into Nova Scotia like that?
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I live in Calgary Alberta..we don't have it nasty bad..it can get long in a la nina year..last year we had junk from nov to may almost..we tucked up beside the Rockies so you never know what you're gonna get. When I first moved here we used to get lots of Chinooks..[warm winds] not seeing many now. Northern Ontario can be brutal..a lot like Minnesota. southern Ontario can be snowy..you get the lake effect snow there.
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I really missed out on PEI..the only time my parents took the family on a vacationto PEI was the year I flunked math and had to go to summer school. I'm back in school taking Millwrighting and the math ain't that much better now..40 years later:confused:
  12. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Hey guys, I'am in Prescott az. And it snowed tues am.26in the am.sun came out@ 9am.we were on the road.200 miles south in Tucson it was 65. Sun is out but it's cool.headed back to Portland or.low 43.hi.55. Love them both.
  13. olbill

olbill Active Member

Hey Marc should we tell them were going to the beach tomorrow it's going to be 65 degrees

OLBill
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Have to get some pics for ol maddog110 :), maybe he'll stay home and enjoy the sunny fall days. Olbill you missed a really great dinner tonight. Man that stuff we eat today, lord that was a huge meatball sandwich, couldn't eat all my dinner.
    Maddog don't you bring that snow back with you :cussing:
    See yea in the morn Olbill:)
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Now that IS funny! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  16. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Have a safe ride, leaving for home mon see you guys next week ( droped my bike,I can't believe I did it.it's heavy,few scratches faring will need paint touch up,I have pics. On how it happened£%€#{>¥*#%{* be safe
  17. olbill

olbill Active Member

Yea tell me about that sandwich. Sue wanted to go to Pizza last nite so we went i managed to put 2 small piece's down she thought i was sick .They do fee ya at the tippy canoe.
    olbill
  18. FLHTbiker

Yea, never seen a meatball sandwich that big before. I had a hard time riding home.:(
  19. alex the dog

Yes, those Rocky Mtns. do create some crazy weather. I loved seeing the Rockies up your way last year. Not as high or rugged as the ones here in my backyard, but just as magnificent.

Been through there many times on my way to Alaska. I don't think there is a more beautiful spot on earth than Banff and Lake Louise. You are a lucky man to live so close to all that beauty.

Two years ago, I rode up there for a few days, then turned right and ended up in Newfoundland. Turned right again and rode through PEI, Cape Breton and Nova Scotia. I had such a great time on the entire ride (no rain at all), that I vowed to move there some day. Still hoping to. I plan to come knocking on your door Lucifer.
  20. FLHTbiker

Great place in the summertime but you can have the snowy winters.