1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just a little reminder

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Nov 3, 2011.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I am not averse to snow. It's only Nov. 13, and we've already had 30" of it here. It's the stinking cold temps that are getting me down. Today, 2 different cold fronts came through at the same time, bringing 100 mph wind and single digit temps.

Ordinarily, I'd be sitting at home by the fire, or having a toast down at the Lariat on a Saturday afternoon. But instead, I volunteered to help a friend build an addition on his house, and have been working outside in this s#!% for the last two weeks! What's up with this d@#% Winter???
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I don't know it was fairly dry here most of the day and was up to 54 F not overly warm but plenty of guys still riding today.
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

We've had some very nice days lately - highs in the 70s on the best of them. Missing a lot of good riding weather waiting on parts to arrive. Soon it will be too cold to ride (for me, anyway). I really believe I'm gonna get it together this time, boys.
    The Canadian car chase was hilarious and so was the guy doing Canadian accents. People down here talk like they got marbles in their mouths. Took me years to figure out what the heck they're talking about!
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Any time dog,be looking forward to it(with the miles you have under your belt,maybe you could show me around LOL)....with the bitchin' I was doing about my riding being done,all last week was beautiful, temps in the high 40's-mid 50's except for Nov 11, of course, it was 60* but with real heavy rain and wind gusts of 60MPH... all Remembrance day services had to be moved indoors
  5. alex the dog

Lucifer, I didn't have enough time to ride much of the Cabot Trail and Cape Breton, but would really like to explore the area thoroughly maybe next summer. I want to go to some of the old Celtic music jams I heard about, and sample ALL of the single-malt whisky distillers there. I play the bodhran, and would play for food and spirits.

Attached Files:

6. alex the dog

Right now, 54F sounds very nice to me! Photo taken last week.....high lakes already frozen.

Attached Files:

7. FLHTbiker

Man that looks cold looks like you need snow shoes or cross country skis. Hope you got the bike all tucked in.:)
  8. Lucifer

Red Shoe would be the place to drop in(it's now owned by a couple of the Rankin family) an impromptu Celtic concert can break out at any time there,Celtic musicians from all over the world will drop in and start playing...too bad it was closed when you were there....you'd fit right in with your bodhran....Celtic Colors festival is usually in Oct
    The Glenora Distillery is the only one outside of Scotland

The Glenora Inn & Distillery
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Last week I was riding in low 40* weather. I hope I get my bike back to day so I can go and do some riding.. Cold weather isn't bad, just dress for it. :cool:
  10. FLHTbiker

Heated gear helps to:)
  11. alex the dog

I rode over to the Red Shoe just to meet the Rankins but no one was around. I did get to play a bit at the Celtic Center in Judique. I also visited Glenora and did some sampling (hard to ride straight after leaving there). I thought there were lots of whisky distillers there.

FLHTbiker: the snow came and went, but still toooo cold! I'm hoping to get plenty of rides in this winter.....so no hibernation for this bike.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  12. Lucifer

Only legal distiller I know about is Glenora;)could be others though...Red Shoe was closed down for a while until the Rankins bought it(too much history there to let it die)
    Sure is nice on that side of the island and loads of musical talent.... Too bad you didn't get to crash a kitchen party,sometimes they can last for days:D
  13. alex the dog

Sorry, been working out in the cold, and haven't had time for anything. Work sucks....especially when it's cold and windy! I volunteered to help on this job when my friend's contractor quit in the middle of the project, and Winter was bearing down on him.

I didn't know about a kitchen party, but will play for food and fix things for boarding as long as I can travel.

A fixer-upper in Cape Breton.

Attached Files:

14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That pic reminds me of some of the Victorians I used to work on when living in California. Must be brutal working outside in those temps where you are.
  15. alex the dog

I complain when it's 30*, and again when it's 90*. That darn thermometer wont stay on 60 but for a few minutes a year!
  16. FLHTbiker

Best riding weather is 70-75 F :D
  17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sure am bumbed since the Cottars broke up - they brought that youthful energy to the Celtic music scene that it (IMHO) needed......
    :cheers:
  18. alex the dog

Who's the Cottars?
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't that the name of the teacher in Travoltas
    first tee vee show, Welcome back Kotter?
  20. alex the dog

It's Cottar if you're from New Yawk. For everyone else it's Carter.