1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just Curious

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 25, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Bikes back then had points and condensors too.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This bike would be a bike that is ridden, but not all that much. Who knows, I may like it a lot and want to ride it all the time. ;)
  3. cardboard

Yep !

Mine was a 64 74cu engine.

And when you was kickin it you kicked it to where you had the powerstroke and then turned the switch on.

[​IMG]
  4. cardboard

Johnny I personally think dudes were tougher back then,
    We used to ride these bikes all day. It wasn't just a bar hoppin bike dude.
    We rode the heck out of bikes. This is how folks lived back then.
    When I worked at a Indy Shop 14 miles south of me 2 yrs ago.
    We had guys still bringin in Old Shovel kick and electric start in that they rode back and forth to work everyday.
    We changed the oil , cables, clutchs, plugs , batteries and everything man
    what are you talkin about.

Do you see he tool kit on this bike then

[​IMG]
  5. JohnnyBiker

need to realize that I grew up in the EVO era so these things are new to me. I cannot disagree with you more that you were tuffer back then, that is a bunch of shiit dude.

I guess I am somewhat confused to what your point really is? Are you saying that because I have an EVo that I would not be able to handle this kind of bike? How do you know that I wasn't looking for an older bike like this first before I bought my Sportster? To let you in on the secret, I was, I just thought that it was better to buy newer technology first so when I do have to repair the old stuff, I still have a bike that I can ride. I almost bout a 70' Electra Glide.
  6. cardboard

Johnny if you look in Chucktx gallery, you can see a picture of his 65 Electraglide.
    Hes done front disc brakes on it since then too.
  7. cardboard

Don't care if you disagree with me dude.
    And newer technology is easier to ride and last longer.
    But we didn't have all the tools back then that we had today to make life easier. I had a egg beater drill to drill out locks where there wan't any electricity.
    Man when I was growin up they didn't even have color TV's
    Life was harder on people. Manual labor was much more.
    People back then lifted more and walked a lot more.
    You would of had to live back then.
    And it was even harder on my Parents and grandparents.
  8. cardboard

9. JohnnyBiker

I grew up around old cars so I prefer the older stuff vs. the new. I do not care if I get the snot beat out me while riding, I think that it kind of goes a long with it. Now that I have two bikes, I can buy an older bike and enjoy all the things about it. Yes that includes taking it apart and fixing it, which will be a lot less harder on me now that I do have more than one bike which will allow me to take my time when and if it needs repair.

remember, I am a full time college student so I do not ahve a lot of time to work on things as you do since you have earned the right to semi retire, me, I have a little ways to go for that. :D
  10. cardboard

Dude gittin the snot beat out of you had nothn to do with life back then and life now and how people had to be tougher.

Football players were tougher back then than today even.
    Its something I don't think I could explain to you.

Yer talkin about you are a college student. Glad to hear yer going to college.
    Hope life is good to you.
  11. JohnnyBiker

I just respect the older stuff a lot more than what I do the new stuff. I know I can handle a bike like that.

I do understand what you mean by differences of people of today and the people of yesterday, a lot has changed since I was a boy. (I am curious as to how old you think I am)? I am probably older than what you may think.
  12. cardboard

Johnny I hadn't stopped to look how old you are.
    My son will be 39 January 2nd.
    So how old does that make me.

And the motors today like the twin cam if taken care of last a lot longer with fewer problems and less vibration than the motors back then..
    I've seen twin cams go 100,000 miles with just a few repairs if you don't ride them like I ride my bike.
  13. JohnnyBiker

You talk so fondly of the older stuff, why are trying to talk me out of it??:wtf:
  14. cardboard

Don't guess I'm paying attention. Didn't know I was trying to talk you out of it.
    I was trying to show you of the bikes that I rode when I was growing up.
    And how they operated. And trying to make you aware of how they ride.
    They are no where as comfortable as todays bikes.
    And when I said viberate. Every rode a sportster that viberated so much it would put yer hands to sleep ?
    I hear everybody complainin today about their bikes motor makes too much noise.
    And if'n you've ever ridden a pan head, they make a heck of a lot of noises.

And the noise today might be different tomorrow.

Its up to each individual to what kind of bike that fits them and what their pocket book is. And what they want to ride.
    Since everybody is build different than other folks.;)
  15. JohnnyBiker

There are so many different reasons as to why I like this bike, and no, I have not ridden a bike that vibrates horribly and I really do not care if it would.

I like the older bikes because of the nostalgia of them, that they are 100% American, that they are from what I understand easier to work on, not cheeper maybe, but easier. Noises, I guess I do not care so much about that either. Personally, I respect the older bikes a lot more than what I do the newer ones. to me, the newer HD bikes in no way have the soul like the old ones. I am in no way saying that they aren't Harley's, but the older ones are more of a Harley than lets say a Street Glide. do I like the newer bikes, yes I do, but just not a much as the old ones.
  16. cardboard

When you can drag Chucktx back on this forum.

Ask him why he ride a 06 Electra Glide instead of his 65 Electra Glide.
    Mabe he will have a different answer for you.:D

Both of us went threw the Pan Head days to today.
    Both of us skipped the EVO motors. Not that there was anything wrong with them.
    Both of us ride newer bikes. And the bikes today are easier to work on to me. Especially the Fuel injected.
    Chucktx is still carbuerated
  17. JohnnyBiker

You guys are like twice the age as me so I can see why you would want a newer bike, but just a question, why hang on to them then?
  18. cardboard

When you git something you've riddin a long time, sometimes it gits hard to part with. Lot of good memories with it. And you don't want to give them away.
    I was in a bind , going thew a divorse and money was tight and a buddy offered me whatever I wanted for mine.
    It had the motor rebuild, front forks rebuild, repainted, New tires, battery and all. Knew I would git something else as soon as I got threw it..

Chucktx has his 65 Panhead for sale man.

did you go to his gallery and look at it ?
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I can relate to finding it hard to get rid of a bike after you've had it for a while. I sold my FXR because I was losing my job..hurt like hell to get rid of it. I was sniffing around thinking about getting a new Ultra..but to be honest, the old Electra Glide...'04 has been a fabulous bike and lots of good memories and it's been all over the Southwest. When I was giving some serious consideration for the Limited, test rode one at Sturgis and I swear, my bike never ran better than when I got back on it after the demo rides...sometimes I think they know. So as addressed in a thread by The Tourist the old girl is getting some maintenance done at a slow time in the shop so both the bike and the mechanic are going to be happy..we'll see how I feel when it get the bill.....:)
  20. JohnnyBiker

No I have not taken a look at his gallery as of lately. I think that he told me awhile ago that it was for sale when I first joined this forum and if memory serves, I declined because it is a really nice bike that I would have to chop to make it look the way that I would want it to. (I would not do that to such a nice bike). With the bike that I am looking at, there would have to be no other work as far as customizing goes.