1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just need to be sure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RoadKing, Aug 21, 2004.

1. RoadKing

RoadKing New Member

Okay guys, no laughing! I just installed the Arlin Ness Big Sucker on my 05 Road King. I just need to make sure that the black plastic housing behind the stock air cleaner assembly is not used in the Arlin Ness assembly. :eek: I also have a question about the breather tubes .... in the stock assembly there were two breather tubes. In the Ness there are none. :confused:

Mechanically handicapped but trying!!
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Don't feel bad. I tried my darndest to put the ness plate on OVER the black plastic backing......then it "fell off" and I realized that is had to go (thankfully, I had not fried the gasket yet!:eek: ) Keep the back plastic plate, screws, hoses, put them in a box and put them all on a shelf in the basement....that's what I did!! No tubes on the ness....makes it "simple" :D Happy riding!
  3. RoadKing

RoadKing New Member

Thanks!

I appreciate the confirmation!
  4. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

I put the Ness Big Sucker on my '04 Heritage Softail this weekend. The black plastic back plate does not stay, and neither do the little blach hoses. The Ness Big Sucker is so clean and easy compared to the HD SE breather that retains those little black hoses and has additional parts. I think the hoses have something to do with EPA regs.
  5. RoadKing

RoadKing New Member

Great! V&H Ovals arrive Monday! I am installing the PCIII today and will be riding by mid-week
  6. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

How's the installation going?
  7. SISK

SISK New Member

Late follow-up

Roadking,

It sounds like you've already installed your Ness Big Sucker, but you may want to consider the following suggestion which I had posted in a previous post when Painter was installing his Ness BS.

After I had installed mine, I noticed that there was a slight amount of oil leaking around the heads of the two Banjo bolts...

Loctite PST 565 Thread Sealant
    6 ml. Tube. Formulated specifically for metal, tapered, pipe thread fittings, PST 565 cures rapidly to provide immediate low pressure sealing. Its controlled lubricity prevents galling, and it protects mated threaded areas from rust and corrosion. 565 can be used on fittings up to 2" (50mm) in diameter and has a temperature range of -65 degrees F to +300 degrees F (-54 degrees C to +149 degrees C). Disassembly possible with hand tools.

It is quite simple to take out the two bolts and put the Loctite on them, but since your install is already done, you may just want to watch and see if you get oil weep, your choice.

Good luck installing the pipes.

SISK

The dictionary is the only place where Success comes before Work! :D
  8. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

I took your advise and I did put some Locktite on the banjo bolts. I am going to check for oil weeping periodically. I haven't checked it yet after the first 250 miles since installation. I am looking at a new chrome air cleaner cover, so that will be the time I take down the filter to check the innerds.
  9. SISK

SISK New Member

Chrome AC cover

L & P,

What aircleaner cover are you looking to get?

I wasn't overly impressed with the stock H-D oval cover, so I decided to give H-D some more money to get one that I liked more.
    I went with the H-D forged billed aluminum cover (H-D p/n 29745-00) which I've been happy with. (see Photo) There's a lot of options out there, good luck making a choice.

SISK

Don't assume your wife won't notice another "small" chrome accessory - SISK

Attached Files:

10. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Hey Sisk,

Did you get the matching horn cover for the other side?
  11. SISK

SISK New Member

Horn Cover

ffflhtcui,

Nope,

Haven't purchased the matching horn cover. It's on the list, but it's pretty far down there.
    There's a lot of other things that have priority. Besides, I'd like to get some air horns ! :D :D That should fit with in Painters "Louder & Prouder" © philosophy shouldn't it!?!

Anyone know of, or had experience with airhorn suppliers?
    I suppose I should check the DirectParts site first, but like I said, there's other things that I want first.

SISK

Education is not preparation for life, Education is life itself. - John Dewey
  12. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

SISK:

The bike looks GREAT! Mine is almost exactly the same, but BLACK. I put on the Skull logo front fender skirt, and I don't have the windshield bag. Your pipes look great! I am going to my garage today after work to take some pictures of my new Pro Pipe, and I will post them soon.

I looked at that same air-cleaner cover just yesterday, and I am considering it at around $45. The oval stock cover doesn't show the fact that I changed things underneath!

Yo. down the road,

Painter
  13. SISK

SISK New Member

Thanks for the Compliment,

Mr. Paint,

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

I have a second set of slash cut billet end caps for my pipes, so I can switch them around if I get bored with the look. The slashes can be mounted in two positions, which gives me 3 options in all. I'll try to attach another photo showing the additional end caps. The photo is pre-aircleaner cover. A buddy of mine is a professonal photographer and was trying out some cool lighting techniques with my bike as the subject.

Regarding your inquisitiveness on turbochargers... if you want further techno info, on engines, you should study the principles of Diesel engines. It is very interesting to understand the different principles between gasoline and Diesel engines, and understand why diesel engines are so much more efficient and develop so much more torque. The turbo plays a huge part in Diesel efficiency. The gains in Diesel technology in the past few years has been quite impressive, especially in the light truck market. Diesels are no longer sluggish, smoke belching, foul smelling trucks, there are many 1 ton dually trucks that can beat you off the line :D

I'd like to see someone develop a bike with a diesel engine. (I'd actually like to develop it myself, but I've got a day job to hold down).

SISK

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it about riding??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  14. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

My textbook does cover Diesel theory as well as two-stroke engines. I am going to compare all the engine types. My main interest is the general theory, and my hope is to get some real-time experience somewhere with tearing down a motor. I found a couple of websites that cover motorcycle turbos ... the RB Racing site seems to be the best. Really hot rod stuff there... 500 HP speed setting bikes. Too much for me. I was thinking more on the order of maybe 150HP.

A diesel motorcycle engine.... certainly someone has pondered that before, but why hasn't it been done before now? Maybe my studies will tell me.

I spotted some air horns on the Drag Specialties catalog. I don't know what they sound like, but I don't know if I like the look on a Heritage. The Pro Pipe looks a lot better than I thought it would on the retro styling of the Heritage. I took more pictures today, so give a day or two to get them up on my website. Email me for my website addresss.

Yo, down the road,

Painter.
  15. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Probably the same reason you don't see American made diesel cars. I understand that manufacturers have a problem meeting EPA standards.
  16. SISK

SISK New Member

Horns, Diesels, & Turbos

Paint,
    Yea, I saw those Drag Specialties airhorns on the Direct Parts website. Look OK, although I would like more online info such as mounting requirements, electrical requirements, dB output, etc.
    I would try to mount them in an inconspicuous location, as not to detract from the "Heritage" look. Perhaps on top of the headlight :D After all, aren't we going for the "Louder & Prouder"© look? ;)
    PM me with your website so I can check out your photos.

Go ahead and start a "Turbo" thread so we can give this thread back to Roadking and get back on his topic of air cleaners and pipes.

ffflhtcui,
    If we don't reign in the EPA and CARB we will soon be facing standards so restrictive that it will take away the incentive to develop new ideas. :mad: I'm all for preserving our environment, but some of these agencies lose touch with reality, and common sense becomes a foreign concept to them.

SISK

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. - Ronald Regan