1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Just Wondered how long to rebuild the 1340s

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Like the title says, I have a 1996 Road King, she is fine and runs great tuned right and early one changed the pushrods and put Andrews 3 cam true duels and touring mufflers with the wrapping out so this all impoved the performance when I pulled the Trailer behind and 2 up cross country years back. I was wondering how long and what miles did you rebuild yours? I have not broken a bolt on the top end at all. I ran Harley Oil all of its life and just converted to Synthetic Valvoline 20/50 and change it every 3000-3500 miles and uses very little to no oil in-between. I am pushing 60000 mi and have put on almost 13000 miles since moving here, nice weather to ride year round. The bike sat for 8 years that it was hardly run because of work so the most miles were in her early years ad now later in years. I heard the Bottoms we almost bullet proof just wondered how long everyone else was doing their top and why? She still looks great for and OLD Lady I think!!! IMG_1550.JPG
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The closer you leave a bike to stock,the longer it lasts;). EV3 is more of a mid-top end cam...an EV13 is a good bottom end bagger cam.
    Just a bolt in cam and pushrods with no oil usage to speak of,I'd say you have another 50-60,000 miles or more if you don't beat on it.
    I had close to 80,000 miles on my '90 before I did a top end hop up,bottom end was perfect, so was the top,I was just stupid lol:p maintenance went up as much as performance.
    Evo bottom ends are solid.
    badinfluence63 and Marc1340 like this.