1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leak Down Test

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 12, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I thought that this was a good video to show those who may be following this thread.
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

I take the push rods out & check it at BDC,middle of the stroke & TDC.if I remember right,wernt you going with very high compression because of your altitude?
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Checked out 88-98 upgrade, 49pgs!?! That should be a published novel! Leakdown testing at BDC, mid, and TDC without pushrods to check for excessive cylinder wear? Now I'm getting the pushrod removal thing.
  4. JohnnyBiker

It is long but I think that is pretty complete. I hope you like it.
  5. Roadster guy

Made it up around page 11, so far, I'll need a sandwich and a beer before further reading.
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the video, Johnny, thanks.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Isn't that the truth. I am tired of paying someone to do my stuff so I am doing most of it, except for the electrical stuff.
  8. Roadster guy

So it has been a few days, any answers yet or still awaiting test equipment?
  9. JohnnyBiker

Still waiting for the test equipment. I will be ordering it on Thursday. thanks for asking. :cool:
  10. Roadster guy

Finally had some time to get thru 88-98 thread, WOW! that was a good pic/vid/word thread! Excellent work. I really liked the initial start up video, wish my internet here was faster so it wouldn't buffer every 10secs or so. I can relate to those first rides in spring with 12-15ins of snow still on the ground! I gotta say I was VERY IMPRESSED a Fla. resident would give up the sun n sand for time in winter hell.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Paul is a stand up dude! Like I have said, him and I speak close to on a daily basis in some way. It was a great time and the best learning experience I have had in a long long time. I am very happy that you enjoyed it. ;)
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well he fed me bought me a nice cigar and had a cold beer in my fridge in the hotel room . I help build a motor ! I was sold on the cigar .what can I say .lmfao
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  13. JohnnyBiker

It was pointed out to me that the video that I posted really did not touch on how to diagnose ring seal issues. Maybe BaggerPaul could explain this for us??
  14. baggerpaul

Its always best to do a cylinder leak down to be 100 percent certain there is a problem with in the cylinder. And or valves. I find that adding oil and boing a compression test is bull shat and inconclusive. Cause the pressure always rises and you run the risk of hydro locking the cylinder . shutting both valves down completely gives you a complete diagnosis of the cylinders integrity with no guessing what so ever .intake and exhaust valves a checked and cylinder rings are also checked.it must hold to a min of 10 percent and a max of 15 leak wise thats the way I see it anymore than that is not going to fly in my shop.
  15. JohnnyBiker

during one of our conversations you had said that whatever one does, the better not take out the oil dipstick. I have a pretty good reason as to why that would be, but how is one to really know if you have excessive blow by on the rings if you don't see oil flying?
  16. baggerpaul

If you sit down and think this through. Its simple.if I fill the cylinder with 100 psi with the valves on the seat .no air should seep out of the carb or the pipes at all.i should just hear ot hiss in the crank case and my gauge should stiil be reading. 90 psi or better
  17. JohnnyBiker

Yes, if the air is not coming out of the carb or the pipes but I hear air escaping, then I am left to assume that I have ring seal issues. Right? Assuming that the rings are bad, what physical signs, if any am I going to see or hear when a ring seal issue(s) is present? I.E. oil coming out a specific passage, if I have the dipstick out will I become covered in oil, girggling? What?
  18. baggerpaul

The gauge is your answer if air is not leaking out of the valves and its just hissing out of the crank case.and the gauge reads no less than 15 percent of the air you put in its perfect!if its more you have cylinder leakage!
  19. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If air is getting past the rings,would you hear/feel the air coming out of the crank breather holes in the head?? Used to take the timing hole plug out,but there isn't one of them anymore...
    How would you know if it's the compression releases giving JB his problems??
  20. baggerpaul

well my friend if it was the compression releases it would be leaking right at his finger tips they are manual.he would have to hear and feel them . as for the breathers put your fingers over the holes and block them or run a hose from one breather bolt to the other, no biggie.