1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leak Down Test

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Cool...I figured if air was getting by the rings and into the case it would escape through the crank breathers so the places to check for leakage on TC's would be, tail pipe,carb and crank breathers....Comp releases had me scratching my head....Lol..

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

The pushrod removal thing becomes clearer with every post. Do you also recommend a TDC/mid and BDC leakdown test as Prodrag mentioned?
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Be sure it's in 1st gear and the rear tire is down or someone is standing on the
    rear wheel brake pedal, otherwise when you air up the engine it's going to freewheel,

air out the intake you have an intake valve open
    air out the exhaust you have an exhaust valve open
    if you can't hold pressure and it drops and nothing is coming out of exhaust or intake you have ring issues, it's not looking for air and it's path at that point you are looking to maintain pressure if you do your rings are good

if you see the dipstick fly out and hit HR in the head you need to run..
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I will be ordering my leak down tester tomorrow so I can get this all done. Working a lot lately so haven't had much time. :(
  5. hotroadking

Why are you ordering any tester,
    doesn't your indy have one, the labor rate cant be
    much, let him do the test
  6. Roadster guy

Get the tester, do it yourself, then you know it was done right and you know exactly what you have, not someone else's opinion of your motor. Plus, the tester is likely less than the labour bill for a leakdown test of each cylinder at the three recommended piston travel positions.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yep, that is exactly what it is that I did. It is on its way from Summit Racing as we speak. By this time next week I will know what is happen, man working a lot is OK but tiring, I think that I another vacation. :cool: ;)
  8. JohnnyBiker

yeah, using compression releases for this just isn't practical huh???:p
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

No, Comp releases for your build was a good idea,unless you like replacing starter clutches;) what I meant was, if your compression releases were the problem how could you tell??... Paul answered it ;):cool:
  10. JohnnyBiker

i know. Was being fececious. ;)
  11. JohnnyBiker

I checked out the tracking number to see where my leak down tester is and it is in Minneapolis. cool, soon I will be able to figure out what is going with my engine.
  12. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

how many miles you got on that thing?
  13. JohnnyBiker

Finally, I got my tester in. I went out and did one more compression test and I was able to get 5 psi better on each cylinder with a freshly charged battery. I am still 10psi short of the front cylinder, so I am going to move forward and do the leak down test. Other things to do tonight so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Such as life.
  14. Roadster guy

Hurry, the anticipation is killing me! Wait, that's just stress, red meat, and lack of exercise. Ok, when you know, let us know, then at least my stress will be a little bit lower. One question. If your building all new anyway, why leak test? R U gonna sell the old motor as an assembly and want to know it is good for next owner?
  15. JohnnyBiker

Actually, I was going to keep the 98" and put it back in if I were to ever sell the bike. I am not looking to have the 117 or 120 built by the end of winter so I have some riding to do in the meantime. Trust me, I am anxious as well but my schedule is just kind of a PITA these days so I have to work with what it is that I have. So yes, you are mostly correct with what it is that I want to do. :cool:
  16. hotroadking

buy a 120R get a warranty 130/130 tuned out of box....
  17. JohnnyBiker

Now that life is getting out of my way for a little bit, tomorrow I am able to get to the garage and get the leak down test done and find out if there is really anything wrong or not. As I said, I have received the tester and from what I can tell, it seems to be a really good unit.

This is how I am going to conduct the test. I already have the bike up on the lift, and the air cleaner off. I am going to loosen the spark plugs and only have them snug. I am going to fire up the bike fill the bowl with gas, turn the fuel off and let it run until the fuel runs out. From there, I am going to remove the spark plugs, put the bike in 5th gear, find TDC, (which is easy to do), pop the push rod covers off, collapse the push rods to allow the valves to theoretically completely seat then get the tester hooked up, hook up the air and set the regulator to 100 psi then connect the air to the cylinder. Pretty simple.

I am crossing my finger that all of this is just me being over sensitive but like I have said, I just do not believe that to be the case. I will post some results soon. :D
  18. hotroadking

don't loosen the plugs until after you run it dry...

Although I don't see the point, with the plug wires off
    and the plugs out it's not going to start, if you want, pull the float bowl and drain the carb before testing...
  19. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I must have missed something.. You have a freshly re-built motor, you say it runs great. I assume not many miles on it. Have the rings had enough time to really seat well? Often premium rings taken longer to wear in. What makes you think there is a problem?:confused:
  20. Roadster guy

I think JB is just being cautious, and maybe needed an excuse to pick up a new tool or two to float by the wife. Looking forward to the results and the upcoming build.