1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Leaking Gas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No problem understand the time issue...

Perhaps on a weekend, if you do take it to the dealer or a
    good indy shop have them replace the bowl screws with allens
    it's a very very common fix.

Think about it, HD doesn't figure you should or ever would
    need to be in the carb for anything.

Can't remember the thread size but the shop will know.

After reading your other post, it sounds to me like you have an issue inside
    the tank, either someones dumping crud, or you buy fuel from someone
    with a nasty tank underground, or the tank itself has rust issues.

That needs to be addressed.

BTW do you go to UM?
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I agree with HRK - Carbs are basiclly sealed systems and crud would not be getting to the carb unless it's coming from the tank or somebodys dumpin stuff in the tank.
    If ya don't have time to do it yourself - find a local bike shop that has experiance with using kreem - it's a good product that will outlast yer tank -IF- it's applied correctly. Somebody thatt doesn't know how to use this stuff can screw yer tank up even worse than it was when ya took it in.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What is UM?
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well today I was able to get my bike and get that bowl off, I went and bought those screw out's. Man do they work well, I have no idea why I did not think of that right away? Probably too pissed off? :angry: Anyways, I got the bowl off and there was some junk sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I did not think that it was that bad, but it doesn't take much. I then sprayed carb cleaner in the jets and around the float just to knock loose anything that may be there. As far as the screws, I went to the local Menards and got what I needed there. Allen's are the best, used a little Locktight too. Got everything back together, put a little Marvels Mystery oil in the oil along with some Gum Out fuel stabilizer that also cleans the fuel system. Took it out, and I would have to say that I think that it runs better than what it did. I am still however going to take the carb off and have it cleaned completely, this way, I think that it would be easier to track my problem if it persists.