1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Long Ride Essentials - One Rider's List

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Frankly, I wish I'd seen a list like this 10 years ago. Would have saved me a lot of trouble!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I take some of that stuff, but not all, being on the East end of the country we have a lot more cities and dealers to get to vs driving across wyoming or the dakotas where you could have 100's of miles to get to the next town.

1) check the laws - http://www.handgunlaw.us/ print out PDF of reciprocity
    check local state laws to be in compliance.
    2) extra ammo and mags - hey might as well load up.
    3) Rain stuff
    4) Full face helmet
    5) Small tour bag with liner for cold drinks
    6) Micro Fiber towels and quick polish spray for removing nasty bugs or water.
    7) Cell Phone
    8) Clothes for things like underwear, tshirts socks I pack enough but
    you can always toss them vs cleaning and buy new from Wal-Mart for
    next to nothing, hey you gotta get new undies once in a while.
    9) Credit cards n cash n debit card - advise your CC company if you don't
    travel out of state much, they might put a hold on transactions in Maine if you live in NV as a protection.
    10) Plan as best your route and tell someone where you'll be going, because something could go wrong and if you are in bummfuq Dakotas on the side of the road after a buffalo hits you at 8 pm, your body might be there all night. Let someone know where you are going to stay and call them when you get there.
    Or if you break down no cell service and nobody comes by for hours to help.
    11) Ipad or tablet with wifi/cell, great for looking up hotels, roads, weather maps etc.
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Number 9, notifying banks,very important. I forgot to once. 'Won't happen again. You can get past most anything with credit cards.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
  4. Red Rider

Good point about the banks, but this is what I found out a couple years ago (and still holds true): when I use my credit card across big distances (400 - 800 miles) for fuel, eventually (not everyday, but a couple times a trip) the card is declined and I must "See Cashier". If I'm in a hurry (weather, usually) I just switch to a different card. If not, once I "See Cashier" the card is restored to normal - for a day or two.

I learned in 2013 that notifying the bank is not necessarily good, not unless you know where you're going and when you'll be there in a pretty tight window. I don't travel that way. Long story, but if you have multiple cards I think you're better off traveling like I have, and just dealing with the occasional delay in approval than trying to meet a schedule on cross-country rides.

Oh, and as a general rule, don't use a debit card anywhere that you are not certain you can absolutely trust...unless it is one that you set up with limited funds for that purpose. Otherwise, fraud gets all the money.

As to weapons carrying, that should be kept to oneself.

With all the open range here (unfenced along the roadways, especially), Westerners do have to mind the cattle, deer, moose, bear, elk, horses, antelope - heck, even a coyote or badger could ruin your day. That is why 95+ percent of my riding is dawn to dusk. I guess avoidance will have to do for me on the long runs, 'cause too often I just want to take roads unknown.
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  5. hotroadking

Thing about weapons, just fyi, in some states, a knife on your belt is considered open carry or under a jacket concealed so you need a permit, that's why I put up the link, weapons doesn't just include guns, it means knives, stun guns, etc.
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Red Rider

Good call.......and good reminder, especially for us Nevadans who can carry anything just about anywhere while in the state.
  7. hotroadking

yeah same here, you need the permit to carry the blade concealed, I don't mean a pocket knife but a real blade, know of a guy that spent the night in the pokey and in front of a judge for that from a routine stop.
  8. sitdownplease

sitdownplease New Member

Thanks for sharing. Nice List!
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Does a wife count as a weapon?
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I rode to san diego and back a couple years ago with just a pocket knife. Important part for me was being aware of my surroundings at all times. Watching people. Neighborhood hotel is in...would on more then a couple occasions go find another hotel based on the vibe i felt. As well no matter how friendly a person or persons might be i would pass on any unplanned invitations. And i never took a hotel in a major city, always drove 30 miles past. That helped with avoiding morning work traffic.
    Red Rider likes this.