1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Breeze, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

Breeze,
    I've been away from the forum for awhile, and was stunned to read your post.On August 16, my wife of 39 yrs was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. I'll only have her for a yr at best.I can already feel the pain you're going through.I don't know if I can take it.Sometimes life deals us more than we can handle it seems.
    I will keep you in my prayers, please keep my wife in yours....God bless....
  2. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Prayers and energy

I shall include you both in my prayers and energy work. If I might suggest it, there are usually support groups for people dealing with the same sort of thing. When my mom was passing it helped my sister and I a lot. Stay Strong.

Ride Free.........
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

GreyBear....that's good advice that you give. Old Fart, I'm sorry to hear your news. ..make the best of your time..prayers for you both.
  4. SK

SK New Member

Sorry to hear this Old Fart. I don't know what's worse..losing a loved one unexpectedly or deteriorating over time. I watched my dad wither away slowly over 3 years to prostate cancer and then my uncle (his brother) a few years later go quickly with a heart attack. Personally..I'd like to go quick.

Hang in there Old Fart and enjoy every minute you can.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Old Fart, I really feel for you and for both of you the support groups can really help. Old Fart talking with somebody can really help, same goes for your wife. Thank goodness she has you still with her. When my dad died suddenly of a heart attack I was devastated as we were the best of friends and did a lot together. Time heals but memories are great.
  6. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Our son lives nearby here in Wa state,but all of our family lives in Texas. We talk daily, but it's still so hard.
    This will be the hardest time of our lives, but I'm determined to make it as comfortable and happy for her as I can.She's already looking forward to doing as much riding as we can.Got the bike in the shop getting some work done so we can just go, and not worry about that at least.
    Thanks,again...will keep posting occasionally,..when I can.......Jim
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Old Fart, I live just down the Freeway from you just outside Portland OR. You ever need someone to talk to or just ever need somplace to go let me know, be glad to help.
  8. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Prayers

Old Fart,

Thanks for keeping me in your prayers. I'm not even going to say that I know what you are going through because I only know what I'm going through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I lost an aunt a couple of years ago after a three year battle with cancer. My uncle told me that I was lucky because I didn't have to watch my wife die for an extended period of time. I understand his point but believe me from my standpoint, this has been the biggest shock of my life... I didn't even get to hold her and say goodbye.
    There is no easy way...

All I know to tell you is cherish every moment you have with her and make them count. You will both appreciate it.

My prayers go out to you both.
  9. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Breeze and Old Fart,

I didn't catch this thread, I've been busy working, riding, and parts searching. I'm more on the board and net in the fall thru early spring. I'm truly sorry Breeze that you lost your mate, obvious to me she was much more than just a wife. Hits home with me, she looks very similar to my wife. God bless you, and I'll be praying for you.

Old Fart, I still believe in miracles. I'll be praying for you and your wife also. You all are weighing heavy on my heart.

Brent
  10. Harleywyld1

Harleywyld1 New Member

Know your pain

I lost my wife of twelve years in a car wreck 4 years ago this month. People will tell you it get's better but, it don't. What does happen is you get stronger. I learned how to live thru the next hour, day, weeks and now years. You will be surprised at how strong you are. Keep your family and friends close but keep the time open to just get out and ride by yourself. On my helmet I put a note. DON'T BE SAD THEIR GONE - BE HAPPY THEY WERE HERE! MJ 2002
    Take care of yourself.
    Harleywyld1
    Cowards wont follow and the weak cant keep up.