1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Love the Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Anyplace can be a good home. Attitude is #1. But as a former Firefighter in Florida for three years, I will add that anyone there in their own home should have a generator and extra fuel on hand, and know how to use it. It doesn't take a hurricane to knock out power for a long time, but they'll do it, too - as a matter of routine. One might handle living in an un-air conditioned home, but a lot of your stuff won't like it. Mold grows fast there, and is destructive. Friends of ours were without power for over 6 weeks after a 'cane went through, and much of there stuff was eaten up with mold.

Don't forget to watch your step out there. Those aren't gopher mounds, they're fire ant hives...and when the thunder roars, head indoors.

Good luck with your move. It will likely be better than SoCal has become. And a carburetor guys won't be an enemy of the state!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya gotta remember, good tex-mex to us is like great cuban food made in Montana....

Had really good Tex-Mex in Tulsa when I lived there, and in Hu'stun when I visited
    and in San Dee Ego Ohh.

You want great Cuban food, outside of Havana, go to Little Havana in Miami, bring a gun cause well, you can... and some cash. Cuban coffee and a cigar prefer a Monte #4 for after dinner...

Secret to keeping fire ants away is to take care of your yard and send them to the neighbors yard with lotsa ant killer, yeah we have a small generator since the last hurricanes I clean it out and start it every year, and have a power patch into the power, just run the fans, tv and fridge a Generac on Propane or NG would be good, thought about it but I'd have used it for a total of maybe 2 hours in past 9 years, reminds me need to get the generator out and fire it up...

I think I'll see if there is a propane conversion kit for it so I can just run it off the 100 gallon tank at the house if needed.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for all the advice.

Generator, check. I already have that here since Cali is known for rolling blackouts in the summer. Nobody here builds power plants anymore because they aren't "green" so the population has outpaced the power plants. Good idea to look into a propane conversion.

Cuban food? Pass. My ex-wife was Cuban, I'll just leave it at that!
    My wife (the current one) is a great cook of all types so I'm sure she'll make up for it. I do like me a good cuban cigar, preferably a Romeo Y Julieta or La Gloria. Ybor city is close by there so I will definitely be stocking up on some great cigars.

Overall it should be a good move and I'm looking forward to the change in scenery.
  4. hotroadking

After you transplant and undergo the required de-califorication process give me a ring we'll have to meet up for wings or something
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely!
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I'll come, I'll come
  7. hotroadking

Open invite, maybe even BP will scoot out of his hidey-hole