1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Low Profile Bike Dolly

Discussion in 'Vendor Feedback' started by Fatboy128, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I picked-up this "Low Profile Motorcycle Dolly" from Harbor Freight yesterday and have to report several things:
    1. there is a coupon in the March "Motorcyclist" magazine that offers this dolly at $59 down from the normal $99.
    2. The directions are minimal at best and the illustration is hard to make-out (typical chinese instructions). If you are mechanically talented, even a little, you should have no problem.
    3. The powder coat is weak, not well bonded. The slightest bump flakes it off.
    4. Although the photo shows what appears to be a Harley, look close, it is a copy. Why do I mention this? because the wheelbase of this bike may be shorter than my 2005 Fatboy. Which leads me to item 5.
    5. Check your wheelbase against the wheelbase given in the item description. My bike fits just barely. What the problem is at the ends of the dolly there are levers that actuate ramp/movement locks. When swung down they engage the floor and keep the dolly from rolling while loading your bike and act as little ramps for loading/unloading. When up, they allow the dolly to roll. The problem is if either tire contacts these ramps, it will push the ramp to a position that still contacts the floor keeping the dolly from moving. I have to be very careful to center the bike between them, I only have about 1" to play with (leaves 1/2" from tire to ramps.) Also, the dolly comes with 2 steel bars that are placed at both ends of the dolly to act as bumpers so the bike doesn't roll-off. These are worthless to me due to the wheelbase and placement of the sidestand "outrigger" and the need for me to center the bike. I believe that the ramps once up will prevent the bike from rolling off.
    6. The sidestand wants to move-out farther than the "outrigger" allows it. It doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with my bike. The lean of the bike is sufficient.

If you can overcome or look past these issues, the dolly rolls very good and has made my life easier fitting my cage into my garage.
    Motorcycle Dolly - Low Profile