1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Luggage System

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 19, 2011.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess Phil stopped carry of them, hadn't heard that.. Or he sold them all to the folks passing through on the way to sturgis LOL
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

His email said more that he had to get ahold of the manufacturer but they never had gotten back to him. I guess I know where not to go. Thanks anyways.
  3. hotroadking

Yeah maybe its not selling all that well, I don't see them
    much down here at bike shops anymore...
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Are there very many stretches of highway where there is more than 160-175 miles between gas stations?? And now with the bikes having even larger than 5 gallon tanks the call for jerry cans would be pretty low...The only time I thought about them was when I was riding the Sporty with the 2.25 gallon peanut tank...
  5. hotroadking

Yeah I wouldn't buy one, with the 6 gal tank I have to pee before I need gas, then again I usually have gas before I have to pee....
  6. JohnnyBiker

Wow, I really have no clue as I have never been on these roads before. :banghead: Rather be prepared than be sitting on the side of the road waiting for gas. :witsend: I only have a 5 gallon tank.
  7. Lucifer

Heh...The OL sure wishes I'd run outta gas:rolleyes:

I hear ya there:),Bought that T-shirt with my no reserve EFI,not because there were no stations,I just forgot to pull in:rolleyes: ....I think that your GPS unit could tell you distance between gas stations and where they are if you have your route planned out...You could probably figure it out before you even leave....
  8. JohnnyBiker

I am getting 40 miles to the gallon now with my Hot Rider and myself and not loaded more averaging 65 mph. Now figure a more loaded down bike averaging about 80-85 mile an hour. It is just something I am going to do.
  9. Lucifer

So you'd give yourself about 140 mile range then look for gas...I can understand you wanting a couple extra gallons for peace of mind...You gonna be riding Interstate highways?? 80-85MPH average, heh,you'll be really clipping along on some stretches...better watch out for the Popo too;)...I used a GPS for a while on one road trip with the OL until I unplugged it and threw it in the Tour Pak...never did a search for fuel with it,but I got the distance between every Pub and bar along the way....:D
  10. JohnnyBiker

Well, in the U.S. Interstate riding is something different. In South Dakota as an example the posted speed limit is 75 and usually the police here allow a 5 mph over exception to where they will not do anything to you. On interstates, I guess I can't even remember ever seeing someone getting pulled over for speed. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but I have never seen it.
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

From experience in Colorado the State Patrol will stop you for 5 over and ticket you for 6 plus over. We need the state revenue.
  12. hotroadking

talk to your tuner about setting the bike up for more MPG vs Power,
    it might just be a simple change, that would get you 5 more MPG, I know
    folks that were getting 50 MPG with cv carbs and woods setup, however
    the 50 or 505 Rebel were not famous for mileage, the 44 though can do well

40's not bad, at 80 you might be in the low 30's Suggest you load up and
    go for a ride at those speeds and see.. You might find you go farther faster by
    going slower...
  13. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Depends on where your riding Don. I was stopped by CHP for doing 93 in a 65 going across South Park on Hwy 24 a year ago. This is a road where 100 mph feels slow, and hardly any or no traffic at all.

After looking at all my paperwork, he saw I was an old Marine (which I think he was too), he said "Just slow it down OK?" No ticket--thank you!

That 1 gal. gas can will give you a little peace of mind when riding these lonely hwys out West. Makes no sense if you lived anywhere else.

Attached Files:

14. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The speed limit on a significant portion of I-80 that JB was looking to ride is 80MPH, and per my NHP buds they don't even think of ticketing unless you're going 8MPH over - and that has more to do with other factors. I don't know anyone that got an NV speeding ticket for less than 14 over - and the trooper wrote it for 5, even then. Most other stretches are 75MPH. HWY 50 in NV is mostly 70MPH, except through towns.

The GPS for gas may work, and so may the state "Next Services" signs, but I've found the most reliable way of finding gas is to just stay alert for the advertisements on the roadside. Any town adverting anything to drivers has a gas station. But some are not 24 hour ops, so ya may need to think about that.

If I were riding 2-up with a suped-up engine like JB, I'd be looking sharp for gas after no more than 120 miles. I'd also carry a gallon, but not two. Two is overkill, and twice the risk of bad things happening that are worse than running out of gas.
    :cheers:
  15. JohnnyBiker

I will be on I70 the most. My basic rout is south on Mn 15 to I90. Turn west on I90 all the way to I25 south through Cheyeene and on to Denver. From there I am at the mercy of DW and ATD and do some fun riding. I guess I am just going to try and not be so confined to a specific schedule as much as I can. Taking your advise again. :)
  16. hotroadking

Ya might start running and eatn salads
    and tuna for the days coming up to the trip, get
    your weight down as low as possible.

Not saying ya need to loose weight, :D
    but that you might want to be in better
    shape from a conditioning standpoint
    for such a long trip, 500 to 700 miles days
    can wear on people a lot harder than they think

And I know ya want to be cool but a full face helmet
    with wind protection makes the ride easier, the wind
    noise will wear you down, plus get caught in a CO gully washer
    and you will wish you had a full face.

check out the deals at Motorcycle Helmets | Find Motorcycle Helmets with HelmetShop.com
    I got an HJC for $150 it has places for BT, if you don't have com
    and CB on the bike then a nice helmet to helmet BT is good.

Reducing wind noise is key to making the trip easier,
    if you don't want a full face then get a set of custom made
    ear plugs for you and HR from Big Ear Inc - Big Ear Inc.
    makes a world of difference

Plus when HR starts telling ya what to do you can say
    huh what? (it's not bad you can hear):roflmao:
  17. JohnnyBiker

A full face is not going to happen. I will have my trustee ol' WWII style German Helmet with and in use the whole way. I do use ear plugs and am finding that I like to wear them actually wile riding. :cool:
  18. JohnnyBiker

Soon I will have some pictures posted of my bike mocked up with the luggage rack and with the luggage on. I am not sure how I will feel with it on as it just means that I am getting closer to being a geezer. :roflmao: NOT!
  19. hotroadking

I suggest you check the state laws on helmets, some states have
    no requirement and will allow the WW2 style, or Nazi helmets the
    novelty non DOT type, while others wont and the ones that don't
    can be super strict on riders, you get pulled without showing the DOT
    and they might not let you continue to ride to a helmet store...
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Ear plugs don't work for me when using my beanie helmet. Wind noise is about the same. But $85 for a pair of high tech ones? I guess some people have money to burn . . .

The 3/4 helmet I have does cut the wind noise to a dull roar.