1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Main Bearing Clearancing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

99-02 were the best blocks Harley did in TC's...then in '03 they went to the cheap azz roller from Timken tapered...I believe your Road Glide falls in that group,99-02...
    I've been kinda shopping for a 99-02 motor and if I ever buy another TC it's going to be in those years too....can you guess why??;)
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Goid. I put a PM to a guy that will be able to hook me up with a great price I think.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  3. JohnnyBiker

I do get the feeling that the lefty bearing isn't that popular. lol

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Its better than the stock bearing,but if you're going that deep,do the Timken conversion... you don't have to with your stock block
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Depending on how big you are going to go, at 117 to 124 the stock HD cases get very thin at the mid connection point between the cylinders, so much so that the center bolt for the cases at that point has to be milled into a V shape and when you install it you have to get it lined up perfectly or the piston skirts will hit the bolt. Best bet is jims or sns cases if you are going really big.

Not that you can't bore out stock cases for a 124, you can, I did, but you need to know there are shortcomings as they were not designed for this size.

For a 103/106/107 this won't be an issue, and stock cases are fine.

Why wouldn't you just use the cases on the bike, if you're just going 103 to 107 it's a waste of money IMHO since you already have the cases, and the vin matches which to me is more important, especially if you are pulled over in sturgis, one of the things cops at rallies look for in the parking lots are mismatched vins.

They have crews that walk all the lots and streets at Daytona checking bikes all the time and finding stolen bikes...
    Lucifer likes this.
  6. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

So the early twin cams are more desirable? I thought the early ones has more timing chain guide issues? Or since you will only be using the cases in your build and the chain or gear setup you decide on will all be new it is not of consequence. Early twin cam cases good, tensioners bad, later cases bad, tensioners better?
  7. hotroadking

the later flywheels and bearing assembly was changed by HD, it's reported
    that the pinion shaft isn't as tight a spec as it used to be, so going gear drive
    is harder with the later twin cams, but the new tensioners seem to be holding
    up well so gear drive cams are not all the rage.

Early twins had some issues with the cam bearing selection, which HD changed, and the tensioners which some wore out in 20K others 40K but you do need to inspect them, if you havent' and you have a high mileage early TC you best pull the cam cover off and check them out before it's too late.
  8. JohnnyBiker

:p:p
    Was never planning on using the lefty. always the Timken.

9. JohnnyBiker

I just received a PM from my friend and he tells me that HD stamps the new OEM cases with my VIN. However, I am required to return my current cases to MOCO or the dealership is fined 5k! THAT SUCKS!

10. hotroadking

Yep you have to return the old ones, it's a control issue otherwise some crooks could just copy vins off bikes and order cases to make fake HD engines and bikes,

So what are you doing with it in order that someone might make an intelligent suggestion.
    Lucifer likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Ok