1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Maintenance

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by GreyBear, Dec 26, 2006.

1. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

You're killin me Chuck! I swear it's true! After he brings my tin work, I'm headin out to pick up my Keltec rifle and I'm also going to look at a pistol grip, collapsable stock, short stroke, 12ga pump. (for house protection ya know) Can't remember the make/model. I'll post some pics when I get back Sat night. :D :D
  2. Pixs

Pixs New Member

Yo Voodo,

Make sure that you get a sholder sling for it so you can carry it on your back while riding. You will be amazed how few people will try to cut you off.:cheers:

I'm getting old and feeble and Sue wants me to let the dealer deal with the 06 Dyna, I listend for a while then I said fu<k this! Every time it goes in the shop something else is screwed up on the bike. From know on, only my wrenches touch that bike unless I can't physically do it. There is a dealer not fare away that has a really sweet wrench, she is easy to look at, easier to talk to, and she treats your bike like it is her very own. Meticulas as hell. Here's to Angel.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  3. REED

REED New Member

I am a mechanic by trade, just getting into motorcycles (HD) have an 06 Dyna FXDI3500 that I am doing the engine up right now 131 cid new heads to match daytona twin tech cpu bc gerolomy dual port induction Andrews 670G cams s@s gear drive 4.25" bore and 4 &/8" stroke borezilla exhaust etc. should make the big rice rockets sit up and take notice. Tom
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Sounds like a nice setup, should be a screamer! Post some pics when you can. (and maybe a dyno sheet!)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I do all that I can on my 03 TC fat head , did all the work on my 73 shovel head except the machine work , but I'am the one who tore it down & put it all back in the right places with only had a few part's left over:D ,
    :cheers:
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

We all got parts leftover after building something. They always put extra stuff in there that you don't need!! I still can't figure out why?? :roflmao: :D
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thats what the spare tool box is for....holdin all the leftover parts!!!:D
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Oh yea, and I usually accumulate alot of them!:roflmao:
  9. troby53

troby53 New Member

ok.

my bottom line is this:

As long as the warrenty is in force

The Motor Company can pic up the tab..

but when it's gone..?

I have sockets............
  10. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

no trust

What i can't do i have my independent do. i don't trust the steeler. I'm hoping i never need wan. type work.
  11. troby53

troby53 New Member

Maintainance

Gotta say I agree, in general, with what seems to be the prevailing opinion on this thread. I've done most of the required maintainance on all my vehicles both two and four wheeled over the years.

However, since I'm temporarily indisposed due to my "Deer vs. Harley" incident, I'm ok with letting the dealer do the work for now. As far as the expense concerned, it's either pay it and get back in the wind as soon as my recovery is complete, or end up with a very expensive conversation piece in my living room....:roflmao:

So like most of us, I'm doing what I gotta do....

But when that warranty expires in '08?....I will be a "hands on" owner.

Looking forward to that time...
    Troby53
  12. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I do ALL of my own work on EVERYTHING. I have a friend who is a pretty good motorcycle wrench and another who is a car/diesel mechanic. So between the two, I can get advice and a set of helping hands on just about anything I need and learn for the next time around. I'm a fair carpenter so we do the same thing the other way too. We've been doing this since high school so I have become a pretty fair backyard mechanic after a while. I still have questions but they are farther and fewer in between.

Plus I can't afford to hire someone else. Nor do I really trust them at this point. Too many horror stories of leaving oil plugs out, overfilling oil, etc.
  13. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

I bought the CD set from fixmyhog.com It shows all maintenance procedures. Great for newbies and getting to know your bike. No regrets in this purchase. There were things I already knew and things I didn't. I highly recommend. any questions emails are welcome.
  14. chucktx

welcome lady harley...............got a pic or two you can post??? have fun as we dont bite!!!!!!!!!!at least not to hard!!:roflmao:
  15. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Go nowhere do nothngs

Used to have a brother that was one of the best wrenches I ever seen. He once trued my flywheels by running them across the kitchen floor banging them now and then with a brass hammer...not that I didnt trust him but the next day I took them down to a shop that had a truing stand. They were closer than the specs called for. When he used to put stuff back together he would drive me nuts...pick something up grin and sail it across the shop.."Go nowhere-do nothing" he'd laugh and it did NOT get put in....scarey..but damn he could build a motor.

Ride Free......
  16. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I have done my own work thus far, on both my last bike and this one... the only things I didn't do was tires and change out the chain and sprockets. I would love to learn how to strip down the entire bike, fix it and rebuild it. I'm surprised that no one offers a course (at least not up here) on motorcycle repairs/mechanics.

My Sporty is just hitting the 16000km mark, and now needs to go in for another "warranty check". Apparently, the stealership is gonna charge me a BASE PRICE OF $450 for this check... and then if things need repairing, it goes up from there. Oh, but I was told that they include an oil change with this. A F*CKIN OIL CHANGE?! Unreal. :angry:
  17. ladyharley

ladyharley New Member

to ChuckTZ

Yeah, ChuckTX ... I tried posting some pics but the site was giving me trouble...I'm trying to find time to mess with pixels for upload... I'll get 'er done :)
  18. chucktx

cool!!!! just sittin and waiting!!!!!!!!;) :)
    chuck
  19. scottf

scottf New Member

I do quite alot of my own maintenance. I enjoy working on my 96 FLSTC, and there are very few folks I'll let work on it over here in Korea.
  20. gumby40

gumby40 New Member

Do it all myself

I don't need to give them any more money. I can't believe the prices! wow! I am cheap:eek: