1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Maybe the fuel line was the problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Sep 1, 2007.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Done the push home thing too, when the trap door on the trans blew out, good thing it was down hill part way.

Good exercise though:roflmao:

Bad petcock well at least you found it, it's fixed and you can always ride the next day.
  2. tim

tim New Member

I wish mine would have been the fuel valve, because now i have to think it was a bad load of fuel or somebody dumped something in the fuel tank and i do not know for sure which it was.
    Tim
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

maybe someone used some tank sealer???
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Wow. It's amazing how well it runs when it's getting gas to the carburetor. Even though they didn't have a Pingel in stock (big surprise there, eh?), I like my new petcock. It's sexier than before. They even washed the bike and did a great job!
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear you are up and running like a champ!!! You can always make up for their lack of parts later...just takes a computer, credit card, shipping time, and assembly time. The fact that they washed the bike and DID A GOOD JOB is nice!! Can't say much tho.... when I had my bike in for the 20K service, they asked if I wanted it washed and I said yes..... looked pretty good!!! not 100%, but that would take me YEARS to accomplish!!!:eek: :D :roflmao: Main thing is that you are now back on the road....let us know what your MPG is NOW!!! :D
  6. tim

tim New Member

Bought this brand new last year, end of july it was only a year old, no reason to be using tank sealer in it.
    Tim
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby good to here it was not a big deal to fix & your up & riding
    Tim you might have just gotten a bad tank of gas some like you got gas while there where dumping A load / or just right after , there filter's don't catch it all
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Rode over to Laconia and beyond today. I filled up and the math said 47 MPG. I was doing that from memory, so I think I may not have gone as many miles as I thought. I set the trip this time to be sure. I passed some cars in a couple of places, and I have to say that the acceleration is definitely a lot better.

The traffic just sucked out there. The towns are so close together that by the time you get out of town enough where you can pass, you're coming back into another town and get behind 10 more people. :banghead: I even passed a couple of guys on Harleys. I don't know what they were doing. Just putting along chatting with each other with a line of cars behind them. We were coming up to some good curves, which I'd done perpendicular to the road on my way out thanks to a slow RV, and I was not going to do it again. I blasted by a couple of cars and the bikes and got some good leaning in the twisty parts. It really is nice to twist on the throttle and it take off so quickly. I had no idea it was that bad before.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  9. bdfin

bdfin New Member

At least it didn't totally crap out on you during yer trip out in the middle of BFE.
    That would have been the ultimate in....SUCKS.
  10. chucktx

YAY!!!!! way to go abby!!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I tested it again. 47 MPG. Wow.

I don't understand how a bad petcock could cause my fuel economy to suck so bad.

Insight, anyone? Ken, you're the Carburetor King here. You should know about all things fuel related, right?
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the cloged petcock will make it real hard for the gas to pass through so the engine has to wark harder to get it , the harder engine has to work the less fuel milage you'll get
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Hey, Abby

Wow, that petcock impact on mileage is new knowledge for me, too. Great that it worked out so well.

So is your new petcock a stock replacement or aftermarket - and if so, what make?
  14. whacker

whacker Active Member

Cool....glad everything worked out for you....
  15. chucktx

abby, ya might want to take a look at your plugs. 47 sounds a bit high to me, and you may be running lean.....not good. what was your milage a year ago?? 6 months ago??
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

44 was typical until the end of last season. I took it to two different dealerships and paid tons of money to find out that my fuel economy was all in my head.

Red - it's a stock petcock, but a newer one than came on mine originally. The original petcock looked like they have for as long as I can remember. This one looks beefier and has chrome parts. I doubt it's any different than the old one, but it looks different.