1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Michelin Commander II's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2013.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh my I just realized is this turning into a oil thread.

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I run / ran the metzers on my e glide great tires rain or dry ,My Brother was just here & said he put them on his E glide & they handle better then the dunlops & better milage out of them
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There is definitely some handling changes that I want to see when I go to a different tire that is for sure. Not that my Glide has ever handled poorly but I want to try what is out on the market. I have heard good things about the Metzlers and I will give them a try after this tire swap, I already have made a decision on what it is that I am going to try. :cool:

BTW, I am glad that your lill toe is better.. :roflmao::D
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What did you decide on??
  5. JohnnyBiker

6. Lucifer

:cool: We'll be expecting a review after your road trip;)...Like I said about the Michelins,I don't know if it was my fault or not about wet weather traction,but once I loose confidence in something it's pretty hard for me to get it back....we'll see how the summer goes..Wet/dry handling and traction is a lot higher on my list than mileage....I don't want to knock the Michelins,but I have a hard time recommending them...
  7. JohnnyBiker

I will have a short trip of about 1100 miles before I go out west to be able to report on. Lucifer, I do not think that it was you that was causing the wet traction as that has been mentioned a lot in other threads. I will probably from now on not put on the same tires twice for some time so I can really get a good idea of what others offer. Out of the gate I am really looking for an improved experienced. Like you, milage isn't that much of a concern, I need my tires to hold the road and dissipate water fast.
  8. cowboy

I ran the Pirelli tires years ago on my shovel , Liked them ,but haven't ran them in many years ,once I ran the metz I never looked back ,best handling tire I had on a bike , Rain or heat , tar snakes, no problem ,& good mileage to boot , let us know how you grade the Pirelli
  9. JohnnyBiker

I will let all of you know. Anything has to better than what it is that I am running now. Need change. :D
  10. FLHTbiker

Every rider needs to find out for themselves what tire they like and dislike. I to have tried several different brands on my Harley's and have kept coming back to Dunlop. For the new bikes Dunlop has done an outstanding job on their new fat tire with new compounds in the side walls, thread. There making a really good tire for the new bikes and they hold up very well, give excellent mileage and handling.
    Never tried those Pirelli tires but hey wouldn't mind a good and honest review of em after 20,000 miles with them.
  11. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Johnny, when we talked the other day I had commented how I switched to Michelin Commander 2 on rear and was pleased with how it is wearing--not with it's handling.

The roads out here are almost always hot and dry (hasn't rained yet this year), and the biggest problem are the "tar snakes". With these Michelins, you can feel them slip when going around a curve and roll over tar snakes. It's a very scary feeling--almost like hitting a patch of sand in a turn.

The previous back tire was a Bridgestone Exedra Max, and it's handling around fast curves was amazing. Tar snakes or wet road made no difference. That's because in part the profile is much more round, and the rubber compound is softer. So it lasted only 6,000 miles.

Now, my approach to many things is unconventional and not just accept what is recommended, but to try out for myself. These Bridgestones were NOT recommended for Harleys, and were hard to find in my sizes. Found them at Dennis Kirk: 170/70/16 Exedra Max for $138.

Again, I strayed from conventional wisdom on the front tire by mounting a Bridgestone BT-45 REAR tire: 130/70/17in front ($118 at DK). This bike became a "canyon carver" as the guys I ride with could not keep up with me (and I am the only one riding a H-D). It blows their mind how this bike runs and handles.

I don't think Bridgestones are priced very high at DK either.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

20,000 miles? :wtf: What motorcycle can put 20,000 miles on one set of tires without being a moped from some little ol' lady in Eugene over 10 years?:roflmao: I guess we'll be waitin' a long friggin' time for that review!
  13. FLHTbiker

Well MR sarcasm I was not saying a tire can go 20,000. Many only get 10,000, so after possibly 2 tires or not one should know after 20000 miles what they think of it. I was giving him some leeway to play with it. If he comes back at 5000 miles with a definite opinion did he spend enough time on it or was that just a seat of the pants review. Come on guy, or are you just trying to put me down. Geesh :witsend: :wtf: yourself
  14. cowboy

I put 15k miles on my rear tire metzler took the front off at 21k that was on my 03 e glide , but here you can ride almost all year round ,& I did /do , now you boys play nice or you'll have to get out of the sand box LMAO:D
  15. Lucifer

Well JB, I think you made a good choice not going with the Michelin's ....Coming home from work Wednesday after only a couple hours of rain the roads were wet but not a lot of accumulated water,I took the on ramp to the highway slowly got on the highway picked up speed to only 65MPH...first turn, not a big bend and at steady speed,rear wheel kicks out:eek:so I drop to 60MPH(speed limit) and approach a long sweeper felt pretty loose...A little further down the road I pulled out to pass a blue hair cager,slipped again on the painted lines:gah: the rest of the ride was slow and nerve racking:witsend:
    I highly doubt I'm going to wear these tires out,because up here if you don't ride in rain,you don't ride much...Experience should have told me if a tire maker claims high mileage,wet weather traction sucks...These tires are exactly that...Not too bad straight line riding and good on dry roads,but I've lost all confidence in the Commander II's to the point where I don't wanna ride if rain is in the forecast....In 36 yrs of riding on the street,I've never paid attention to weather forecasts and have never felt tense or nervous approaching curves on wet or rain filled roads or felt I had to slow down below the speed limits in light rain....:angry:
    I think I see a set of Cobra's in my near future....or maybe a set of Night Dragon's if I can wait long enough for you to give a review of them....
    The E3's I had on were way above these Commanders,they just got a little squirrelly when 3/4 worn...I've always had good luck with Avon's...I'll never buy a Michelin bike tire again:banghead:
  16. JohnnyBiker

All that matters is that you and your bike are OK. :cool: STAY SAFE FIRST!!! Yeah, I have just heard way way too many things about the CII's and the wet weather plague. Much like you, especially in the spring time, it is really wet here in Minnesota and I need a good wet weather tire as well. glad that you were able to keep everything in check brother and you stayed upright. :cool:

I get my bike back today so my review will be coming up shortly because Ultra200922 and I are meeting up over the holiday weekend and be putting on some miles. I will make sure that I let you know what I think of them. :D Mileage isn't everything for me. Just my preference.
  17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

High mileage rubber is hard rubber. "Ye cannot change the laws of physics, Capt'n!" That is why I run the Dunlop 402's. They may wear out a few thousand miles quicker, but they keep my skin from wearing out on the asphalt.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

A short story about corporate Michelin:
    Wife's car has Michelins with 20,000 miles on them. The sidewalls on all four tires are, what we in the concrete industry call "alligator-ing" cracking. The entire sidewall is covered in cracks and the rubber is starting to peel off the belts. Michelin is only willing to give me a 25% credit towards the purchase of the same tires. I googled the tire and found many hundreds of the same complaints. I tried several times to contact Michelin direct and they kept sending me a survey form. No response. So as far as I'm concerned; it will be a cold day in He_l before I buy anything that benefits that FN French company.
  19. JohnnyBiker

I can see why you wouldn't want to deal with them anymore.
  20. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Are you parking your cars in a puddle of water all the time? Water will cause rubber to crack over time.

I had Michelin Cross Terrains on my Jeep. They were the best tires I've ever had--65,000 mile warranty and they made it with tread to spare. Bought another set, but Michelin LTX this time (more aggressive tread). These are sidewall stamped Made in Germany.