1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Michelin Commander II's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 18, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Best tires I've run are the new dunlops that come on the 09 and up HD's
    corners on rails, tips in quicker, wears from 15 to 20K depending on bike and riding
    style, quiet, smooth, expensive (well it's HD right.)
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

No. No to armor-all too. The tire shops put me through the Spanish Inquisition already. Bear in mind I've owned four wheelers since 1968. Never had cracked tires. Good years, Goodrich, generals, coppers, bridgestones, firestones, handcook, even the infamous firestones that supposedly failed on the explorers. They were one of the best tires I've had on my 7 explorers over the years. I was raised in a service station and did a stint with Goodyear. Michelin corporate does not back up their mistakes.
    http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Michelin/Latitude Tour
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

5. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Only at Laconia.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

They don't make them in 16" though...E3's were pretty good....They were as good worn out as the Commanders were new lol...I'd bet the new Metz888 are like the Comm II's...
  7. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I have only run Dunlops on my bikes and have been happy with their performance. On both my F-150 trucks I run Michelin LTX A/T2 tires they are the best rain,snow all around tire I have ever run and my last set got me over 75,000 miles. These are made in the USA.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well here is my 40 mile thoughts of the Night Dragons. They are better than bald tires. :D
  9. JohnnyBiker

Lucifer, I will give you a review after the 4th of July weekend. ;)
  10. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

11. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I can't wait that long to give a preliminary report on what it is that I think of the Pirelli Night Dragons. So here it is.

I think that these are really great tires so far. Great grip with effortless tip in into the corners. There is no noise and at no time have I felt them slip. They look great on my bike as well. I have not had an opportunity for wet weather riding but am assuming that I am not going to have any issues there as well. I will take 50 mph posted sweepers at 70 without hesitation on these tires. Once I get into some real twisties, I of course will let you know. :D
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

13. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for posting that. However this writers initial experience is not that of mine. At no point have I felt that this tire was on ice. I have about 150 miles on them now and they have had a grip like my wife since I took off on them.

I am well aware that this tire may not last as long as some and I am OK with that. I WANT TRACTION FIRST AND FOREMOST!! Like him I am planning on running a bunch of different tires as I want to experience what is out there and decide on one brand. :D Very helpful, Thanks. :cool:

Edit: Notice when that review was given as well. The Night Dragons were a fairly new product then. (2010)
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  14. FLHTbiker

Yea they have good traction I just look at a tire to have several beneficial factors with traction only being one of them. Hope it works for you. Did you read all the other comments.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I did. the rest of the comments merely repeated what the OP had said and then strayed off to a different tire. Nothing that was said in that link was surprising. If I am out in Nevada and I need tires, I guess I will just have to put new ones on. :D
  16. FLHTbiker

I hope you don't have to do that. Sucks having to work on your bike when on a trip.
  17. Lucifer

Heh...That's pretty much the deal...How long is the round trip?? You should be able to get 6-8000 miles outta them...That's what Pirelli stated as mileage and I believe most reviews said that range too...
  18. JohnnyBiker

Well just there and back without riding with John and Don the tally is 4k. That is just to Reds house and back. I am figureing about 6000-6500 miles in fun riding. :D all together total trip. :D
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Just put a new Avon speedmaster on the front of my bobber. I'm running it about 4 lbs. under factory recommendation of 36. Tire sticks much better in the curves and seems to track better on straightaways, and rides a bit softer, too.

But I know it will wear out sooner and it affects gas milage. Oh, well, there's always a trade off. I use 'em because of the retro look. Tattoo tells me I should switch to a more modern tread design. He likes Kenda tires on his shovel.
  20. Lucifer

Well there ya go;) should be able to do the whole run without being at someones mercy getting a tire,just don't do any brake stands or burn outs;) and you'll be ready to try another set when you get back home:D