1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Michelin Vs Dunlop and Metzler

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by direct_dave, Mar 15, 2012.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Was prepping the bikes for along trip today so I pulled out my tire depth gauge and checked the tread depth on the 08 Streetglide, with stock Dunlops, 10,000 miles and I still have 4/32 plus on the rear and a little more on the front. I think that is good for Dunlops.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I got 14,000 on my rear tire................

I thought that was super good.
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Again, how you ride and where you ride makes a big diff. in tire life. Probably 90% of my miles are on the hwy cruising at steady speeds 70-90.

Those Dunlops (D402) will last 18-20,000 miles in similar driving. In town you're constantly stop and go which wear the back tire much quicker. They're a hard rubber that lasts long but doesn't ride as well as the Michelins. Even the Bridgestones I just put on ride better than the Dunlops. Time will tell on the mileage, but they feel great.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

i don't do a lot of town riding, If i can get another 3,000 - 4,000 miles out of these i'll be happy. I'll start watching them closer in another couple thousand miles. Just don't want to have to buy some while on the road.
  5. cardboard

To me good rubber is one of the most important things on my bike.
    Good rubber rides better,handles better
    When my tire is about 60% gone
    I'm lookin for a new tire

One fall on a bad tire will pay for new rubber
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree with Cardboard. Good tires are a must...
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yes Alex,where you ride, how you ride and proper tire inflation are big factors in tire life and new tires always feel better than old worn ones...
    I'm going to try out a set of these Michelins when I need replacements,but it probably won't be until next season or late this year...so I'm interested on mileage reports on them....

Hey JB...good to see you posting again:cool:
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have only used the the HD dunlops on the Harley's but the wife's rice bike has a different brand on it. Is there really a hige difference between the dunlops and the Metzlers?

Thanks Lucifer. :cool:
  9. cardboard

What's wrong Johnny, did you git lonely so you came back.

Man Please !

I didn't notise a huge difference on the metzlers and the Dulops.
    You need to pay attention to what time you are riding.
    If you are riding in 100* weather and you have much weight on the bike you will see the tires burn up faster.
    If you are riding in cooler weather and all you might see them last a little longer.
    When you take off if you gas the heck out of the bike, Yer only gonna notise them disappear faster.

I can't always conform to conditions that help me get better tire milage.

I ride a bike to have fun. When it ain't fun no longer and all I got to worry about is how many miles I git totally to a gallon of fuel.
    And If I can git 30,000 to a set of tires I will STOP riding. :gah:
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If you have a good running ride and all you worry about is mileage and how long your tires will last then quit riding and go to driving one of those electric car cages. :rolleyes:

My last bike had a poor tune on it from the dealer and gas mileage sucked and they wouldnt tune it right, that's different. They won't put a tuner and tune my new bike, it's running just fine. So, if your bike is running good just ride it. Put the best tires on it, keep your tire pressure at specs and ride it and enjoy your ride.:)