1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Michlein Comander II tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Oct 26, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

3. quietone

quietone Active Member

Got the michelin commanders on both the bikes now and very happy with them, they claim I can get double the miles from them, time will tell.
  4. cardboard

Know I heard somebody say, I heard these tires are not good in the rain.
    Lot of bad information going around out there. Got a several friends that has been running these tires.

Mabe this Video will clear up riding in wet weather.

5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have a Avon tire on any of my bikes, had to many problems with them in years past.

Michelin like HRK said they don't have one for the SE Touring bikes.
  6. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Twice the miles,we will see.my dunlops went 14,000 rear, 17,000 front. I change them when they hit the wear bars,(or before). D408f and D407 their what comes stock on the flhtcuse6 .i feel very comfortable on these tires on this bike,But I don't have anything to compair them to. I will say IAM not happy about the 50.00 increase on them.whatcha gonna do.my bike is over 1,100 lbs and I ride the corners hard,I like these tires.
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Heard alot of good thngs about Michelin. Most of my freinds use them.Sticking with the touring dunlaps though.

How many miles can you safely get out of a rear tire Michelin?
  8. FLHTbiker

Ask Cardboard I'm sure he's got a buddy somewhere that will tell yea.
  9. cardboard

Got a Indy dealer that won't run nothn but Avon.

Buddy down the street with the SE SG has had several sets of Avon Cobra in 45,000

Avon jus like anything else. Can cup and give you problems.
    I can say he checks his air pressure every time before he goes riding.
    I'm too lazy to lay on the ground and do it as much.

And in the Past a lot of Tire Mfg Including Dunlop has had to make some changes to their tires for various reasons.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. FLHTbiker

I couldn't keep a set on the bike they all would get spits in them and then they would warranty them. I finally threw them away and bought a set of Dunlop's and have not looked back sense.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I ran Avons on my Heritage, they worked very well, handling improved
    significantly as did ride, of course being softer compound tires they didn't last
    over 8K on the rear, then again, no many tires would last more than 8K on it.
  12. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

I had a set of Avon Venom tires on my 99 fat boy. The bike had a " lighter feel" to it than with the dunlops that were on it when I got the bike.But they were Gone in 5,000 miles,soft compound I would think, they were grippy. I would try a set of Michelins, that's all I run on my truck, I love em. There good tires,good mileage , really good in the rain,we do get some rain in Oregon you've probley heard that, it's true but the six mo.its not raining are very well worth it,I'll prove it:see ya next summer.
  13. FLHTbiker

Let's pay a visit to Texas next late spring Maddog. :)

The Venom tires I had were on Honda touring bike. Like I said they would get long splits in the tread, not good as they could have failed on me, like in a fast corner. Got 12 out of the Dunlop's back then now the Dunlop's are even better.
  14. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Thinking of Avon Cobras (I think that's what they are) for the Sportster, want something sticky for when stuff is scraping the pavement. Anybody have a good alternative? 16' and 19'. I do not ride in wet weather and mileage is not too much a concern. No Chinese #$@& please!
  16. FLHTbiker

That's very true and that is why I'm sticking with the the new Dunlop (HD) tire. They grip better in the corners than any Dunlop I have ever had on a bike and they wear better than any tire I've ever owned on a motorcycle. I might ad to that they appear to grip as well as the Avon tires I had on another bike. But, last a whole lot longer.
  17. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

I have to agree with FL. We ride thousands of miles together and have about the same riding style,we do run through the twistys pretty hard for a couple of Old guys,that's in age only when I get on my bike I look through the windshield as a twenty year old. So whatever tires you use,check air, check tread,and check for damage. Other than that Keep them on the pavement .
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The Avons I use do wear faster, but they have very good grip for a retro tread, and they are about half the price of any comparable cruiser tire. I think if I had a heavier bike and cruised a lot of miles, I would not use the Avons.
  19. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Joshbob,is that yer shovel in the pic,reason I ask is theres one,a 46 frame 38 degree rake,47 springer ft. End. And a 73 eng. kicks and starts 1st.2nd3rd4th5th,well you know.it runs good,many extra parts.jocky now but he has a mouse trap thats almost bran new,anyway what do ya think at 4,300. I can't take a hard tail for to long but it would be a kick to build one.
  20. FLHTbiker

When we going down to pick it up Maddog?