1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Mid USA Powerhouse 114ci

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hdhotrod, Nov 8, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

no problem.....
  2. jdmagee

jdmagee New Member

Hey FXR. Sounds like your a few years ahead of me with the Powerhouse. I have 3 of the motors but haven't started one yet. Next week. With my bike it seems every piece has been one at a time custom fit. I could write 100 pages on what it has taken me on this bike, but I'm just about there. Removed the top oring,installed cometic gasket. Set the squish at .060, seemed loose but Vern said loose is better than tight. The piston rocks quite a bit because of the configuration and the bearing type. I've got a pro clutch in the bike so I'll test that. Sta-bo front motor mount flipped over for room. Kevin from Sta-bo knows all about the Powerhouse. Cool guy. Mikuni 48/vulcan adaptor. Dyna 2000ip programmed by Vern himself. Cycle Shack PHD-223 SS. .020 over pistons fitted at .015 and .020. My machinist had to make his own torque plates and rework his honing machine to do the big cyl. He did them so he would be able to do my 4.380 set as well.Hastings 427 chevy piston rings(mixed set because of the ring gaps) Heads inspeced and springs set to 200# with new seals. The heads are a work of art as they are. No need to modifiy there. Compression ratio is 9.7/1. Sounds good on paper but we'll see.All this and I'm my head is already into the next one. It is a stroker Powerhouse 4.5 stroke X 4.380 bore. Have all the parts in hand. Now thats going to be a handfull.
    I have a 1987 FXRC as well. Looks better than new. It has a 103" scratch built motor in it that I did years ago. It feels like it's coming off the ground when I nail it on the back roads. Haven't ridden it in 2 years. Spend more time building than ridding.
  3. fxr114

fxr114 New Member

hey JD thanks for the info. i wanted to reply sooner but work has been a little crazy. you have 3 of these powerhouse motors. ok im jealous. every piece custom fit i know what you are talking about. and i didnt even get inside the motor i just bolted her into the frame. it was a good feeling tho when i looked around and there was nothing else to make or modify. you know vern ott is a legend that man should write a manual on these powerhouse motors i'll buy the first two copies. or he should write a book about what he knows on making american made v twins run. you know he is the father of the XR750? Vern is a legend i tell you. Kevin from sta-bo yea i talked to him a few times what a great guy and he knows what he is talking about also. you have a powerhouse stroker? i never heard of one. you got to tell me more about that sometime. that 87 fxrc sounds like a bad mother. i love fxr's. i can't wait to hear your opinion on the powerhouse because it sounds like you have experience hard hitting harleys. you have something to compare it to. dude i got to go. talk to ya later. thanks again for the info i need all the help i can get.
  4. fxr114

fxr114 New Member

HOTROD, did you get your 10 heat cycles in yet?
  5. fxr114

fxr114 New Member

powerhouse 114

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdhotrod
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fxr114
    HOTROD, did you get your 10 heat cycles in yet?

I have done 13 heat cycles and actually put on about 40 very gentle miles. 3000 rpm or below. I didn't ride it until I had 8 cycles but it was a warm day and I wanted to know if the bike was tracking straight. Ever since then, it has been cold here so I haven't gotten to do much. Today it's 36.

What do you run for oil? The manual recommends Bardhal but I can't fint that. I have 20-50 standard Valvoline in it now. Not the racing oil.

My other question is - do the compression releases ever stop making a mess out of the heads? Mine puke stuff out every time I start it.

Seems to run well so far but of course I haven't put the whip to it yet.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Rick
    Omaha, Nebraska

i had trouble finding bardhal oil and when i did it was very expensive. they say not to use automotive oil because this is formulated for liquid cooled engines and cannot withstand the higher temps an air cooled engine can see from time to time. like rubber necking in traffic on a hot day. i use harley oil regular 20-50 not synthetic. i got stuck in a traffic jam one saturday on mine. it was like 90 degrees. it got to the point i could hardly keep it running the motor was that hot. as soon as i got home i changed the oil. i guess once you get it broke in a good synthetic may be an option. yea the compression release are messy. if it's warm out or the motor the motor still has a little temp in it i dont use them. after you get it broke in good and you put the whip to it let us know what you think of it. thanks for the reply, Bryce
  6. hdhotrod

hdhotrod New Member

A couple of pics of the finished( ) project

Here's a couple of pics. I think I figured out how to post them.

Attached Files:

7. fxr114

fxr114 New Member

looks good HOTROD. did you get any more miles on her? how did you get that header to bolt up?? did you bend the down tubes a little??
  8. hdhotrod

hdhotrod New Member

Thanks although the pics look like crap after I shrunk them down. Send me your email and I'll send ya better ones. Got about 120 miles but the weather is cold and windy again.

Those pipes are Hard Krome 1-3/4" with a 2-1/2" pipe over the top. It's like a 220 degree heat shield welded on the entire length of the pipe. I had to trim that outer shield all around the nose cone and the brake lever but it gave me about 1/8" clearence.