1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Monster Rounds or Monster Ovals

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Apr 29, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

No FlHt I haven't ordered em yet. I don't have enough money to pay for them.
    If you can keep the wind down on the lake, likes its been blowin from 25-35 mph, ask Chuck how his fishing trip was friday.
    And Jake I got a new bike, ovals do great power and have a low sound and are not loud.
    Do some homework on them.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Jake, the V&H Ovals are very good quality and 515 is sure better than list price of over 700:)
  3. Ted

Ted New Member

Hay Cardboard
    Were can I get Monster Ovals for $515 Im savein my penny's
    Later Ted
  4. cardboard

They screwed up buddy. It was the monster Slash cuts that they had for that price. The monster slash cuts are only like 4.5"
    The monster ovals are like 5"
    They are 599.00 and its at Eastern Performance.

They list for like 779.00
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

Try these guys they have good prices.

M&M Cycles
  6. FLHTbiker

7. cardboard

8. FLHTbiker

Depends on the baffle you get with em, The quiet set sounds pretty good. Buy me a brand new set and I'll give you my Monster Ovals? :)
  9. cardboard

Why don't you tell me what you want for yer ovals and why you want to git rid of them. Now I'm curious.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I like v&h stuff well made

Lotta options out there u get what u like but if you want power get supertrapp super meg tuneables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Yeah,, I know. They sounded good, and I got no performance increase with the long shots, although,, the long shots sound better IMO. These Ovals cost over 500 bucks back in '04 when they went on this scoot. What I didn't like was the way the baffles kept working loose from the end of the head pipe, and rattling at idle. Took the baffles out, and put some spot welds on them, which would take out the rattle for awhile. I suppose drilling from the bottom and putting a screw in might have worked, atleast untill they rusted off and left a bigger problem. Still too damn much money for slip-ons . Plus, ya gotta remember not to back them into the curb ! :banghead:
  12. FLHTbiker

I have never had nothing but quality from these monster ovals, they are very well made. Sound is good and the finish is excellent.
  13. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Yeah,, I aint sayin they aren't. I probably just got some odd balls that don't fit the HD pipes proper. I kept them just in case the law starts gettin bucky about noise levels. Might get by with the ovals.
    Just the price that gets me. That kinda money would put stainless steel headers on my big block Plymouth. Guess I don't understand modern economics.:D

Hey Chuck, what kind of mufflers are on Chrome's scoot? Those sound nice!
  14. cardboard

Got a buddy that both him and his dad has a 106 S&S build. He went with the D&D fatcat pipes, his dad went with the Monster Ovals. His dad pulled a little more HP then he did. So the monster ovals are holding the back pressure and lettin out enough air out to make power.
    The long shots you have are for Looks only, they have no performance benefits.
    When you buy header pipes, its either Looks, sound or performance.
    A dyno will tell you which pipe will do what.:rant:

If the mfg spends more time with the pipes trying to design them for power and performance you know yer gonna pay more for them.

If its looks and sound git some cheap drag pipes, they are gonna kill yer power across the board.

Nobody gonna give you something for nothin.
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not sure jake, they came with the bike. not marked that i can remember. she is thinking of changing the exhaust, may end up on my bike!:D:D
  16. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

They sound good. My brothers Heritage has about the same sound, but not as loud. He has screamin eagles.
  17. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I played with exhaust on my race cars for years. I get it.
    Only reason I pulled the Ovals off was 'cause I got tired of the f'n things rattling all the time. Just so happened, I was sitting at a stop light on my way to the H-D dealer (for cruise control problems) when they started rattling AGAIN. When I got there they had these on clearance for 250, and since I was pissed at the ovals, I offered them 200 and accidentally owned them. After I put them on, I could tell no difference in performance, up or down, but took it in for the re-tune anyway and ended up with ..... the same map. It's always fun to back up a bargain with a waste of money. :gah:
    Oh well. I aint gonna drive myself nuts over a couple of horsepower on a bike that already has more than I generally use anyway. :)
    I think you'll like the Monster Ovals. Not obnoxiously loud under normal conditions, but they do bark when you get on it.
  18. cardboard

My Limited has a 103 in it and it still don't have enough power. I would of rather had a SE 110 motor.
    My last 08 EG had more HP and TQ than a 110 stock SE motor.
    A lot of Power makes it a lot easier to ride and passs , when you need it.:rant:
  19. FLHTbiker

My 2011 Limited has more HP and torque than the SE 110. Has the SE Race Tuner, Monster Ovals, SE air cleaner, 255 cams and the V-Ductor :D
  20. cardboard

What is a vductor