1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle Storage

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Nov 24, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got a buddy that works at a Harley Shop in Utah.
    He stated that when HD 1st come out with the 110 motor in 07, that they had problems with the 07 and 08 models.
    But on the 09 and 2010 models they haven't had a problem.
    The Red and Black 2010 was what I rode, I like it.
  2. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Back to winter-ization, no need to heat, in my opinion. No need to remove the battery either. I don't remove the battery from my truck, why from the bike? The key there is to make sure it is charged so it will not freeze. Last year I threw the charger on one afternoon a month, this year I purchased a battery tender.

The other trick to winter-ization is good fuel, and fuel stabilizer. I have never had an issue when storing with a full tank and stabilizer.

Heating might not be a good idea, it could attract mice or other rodents who want to build a nest in a nice warm spot, say under a heated cover, or in the cushions of a nice seat. Just make sure the bike engine and tranny are good and warm before storage to burn off any condensation that may be in there. A fluid change would be a good idea if sitting for more than a couple of months, as used oils have some mild acidic qualities.

We have had an unusually warm November here, so I have not yet put the bike into hibernation, but soon. Then comes the long wait till spring.

Panth
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Best bet for keeping the battery up at least here anyway is ride it. Were riding again this weekend with friends. The wife has to keep her bike on a charger cause she don't ride it enough. Its funny to, I'm ordering her a owners manual for here 04 Ultra as sense she does not ride it very often she keeps forgetting where all the controls are. Must be a female thing. :p Not all females Abby just the OL and I have to show her again how to turn the radio volume up the CB, lights and so on. :rolleyes: