1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

motorcycle tires problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Julianna Wozniak, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Julianna Wozniak

Julianna Wozniak New Member

The tires which I bought on ebay cannot be balanced, it’s out of round.Tried riding and had wobble.
    It was mounted in shop and they also put it on a rim they had sitting in the shop and same issue to confirm it.
    Is it defective ?
    They have brand new high quality tires for my 2010 Honda CBR1000RR and want about $800 for two tires.
    Is it worth it to pay that much or buy another set of front rear tires like Hexautoparts which has good reviews on trustpilot.com?
    Any recommendations ?
    Thank you.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Well, a couple things to think about: first, it usually ain't in a shop's interest to balance tires that you bought from elsewhere, not if they sell tires.

Second, I know a lot of folks save the few bucks buying tires on line, but I figure tires are like shoes - only you don't friggin' die if your shoes don't fit 100%. I get shoes and tires at brick & mortar stores, especially after a bad online boot buying experience.

As to your original problem, a bunch of questions:
    Did you see the tires being balanced on the shop's machine?
    Did you note any counterweights placed on the wheel, either on the rim itself or spokes (if it has 'em), when they were installed on your ride?
    Is the shop saying both tires are out of round?
    Was your ebay buy from an established source or private seller?
    Can you get your tire money back?
    Did you have to pay for the tire/wheel mounting, even though it was worthless?
    Do you trust your shop?

If you want to tell us where your bike shop is, someone here may be close enough to help you through this. Good luck and let us know what you learn, please.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Return them, contact the seller, also check the date code, see if they are selling you old tires, what brand, name like Michelin or Dunlop or were they some off brand tire like HuflungPoo specials.

Ebay has resources to help you, but I'd contact the seller first, if they balk, then file a complaint with Ebay.

I buy tires from a buddy who owns a shop, never have problems, as to mounting issues, HD dealers are notorious for not installing others tires, that is their option, metric bike dealers OTOH will do it without an issue, service revenue is service revenue, so call around and see who offers the service,

You could always go to another shop and ask them to check them out.